APC Forum

Types of charcoal for c6, c8, and tiger tail

TXpyro

I've made star mines in the past but they never really turned out the greatest. I was thinking about making them for New years eve so I bought the 10lb skylighter black  powder kit along with various other items and chemicals. I've been into pyrotechnics for a few years and I have a ball mill and a bunch of stuff but it's been kinda off and on due to school. 

Will skylighter charcoal work for cut c6, c8, and tiger tail stars? If not, what other kinds of charcoal will work? 

So what are you waiting for?

You can make small batches and test it before new years eve.

15 minutes ago, Zumber said:

So what are you waiting for?

You can make small batches and test it before new years eve.

Your right. But I don't have one of those heated drying racks so I need to dry the stars as soon and as long as possible on a screen. I don't have time to experiment. I'm also in school 8 hours a day. 

Edited by TXpyro
Grammer error

I've not used Skylighter products, but I understand it's a mixed hardwood charcoal and should work great for any of the charcoal stars.  The biggest difference will be the sparks produced, if any difference at all (different charcoals can make different appearing sparks, some make more than others, etc), but I'd be willing to bet if all else stays the same with the formula you will be happy with the results.

It works as well as any other airfloat mixed hardwood charcoal that I have tried. Pine charcoal in various meshes works wonderfully in charcoal stars in my opinion. (Working in a pine lumber mill gives me a lot of access to pine scraps :))

Just thought I should add, pine charcoal makes terrible BP, but does well in stars with nice sparks.

Edited by ThrownBiscuit

Any charcoal effect plus 5 to 8 percent 150 mesh ferrotitanium enhances effect beauty too.

Here are Few images from my old shells.

Facebook_creation_1381510780-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20220803-194903-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20230704-101121-01.jpeg

In the composition itself.

And I add Ferrotitanium (finer mesh) not titanium.

Thanks.

Yeah and its cheaper than titanium.