APC Forum

Ball mill question

BingBong

Screenshot_2023-12-09-12-38-09-74_39060a31215a48c7aaf1fb3368fa2e89.thumb.jpg.6cd572cd753096650f835331fc24b6a5.jpg

I'm new to the hobby and I want to purchase a small ball mill to make small batches of black powder, will this rock tumbler I saw online work? Not from the US so no Harbor Freight for me. I intend on using lead media, but the interior of the jar seems to be made of stainless steel/aluminum. Will that be safe? I can't find any rubber jars. Should I just use a plastic canister instead?

Naw, that jar is likely synthetic rubber. Can’t really see the pix, but metal would be a poor choice for either rocks or powder.

I see. I'll just go ahead and buy it, it's only 28 bucks anyways, I'll just use some food containers if the jar is made of stainless steel.

You can get the Harbour Freight/Chicago Electric ones on Ebay/Amazon or resellers outside US.

The one you pictures will most likely suck.

If there's an treadmill, there's a ball mill. Just get some PVC and make a jar then you'll be good to go. You don't even have to modify it if you don't want to. You can just run a board across the belt to prevent the jar from falling off. 

Well for $28, it's definitely worth a try!  If it works great! If it don't - then you're just limited to smaller batches of B.P. till you can make / buy a bigger one, and it only cost a few bucks. Win/win.

On 12/12/2023 at 12:30 PM, TXpyro said:

If there's an treadmill, there's a ball mill. Just get some PVC and make a jar then you'll be good to go. You don't even have to modify it if you don't want to. You can just run a board across the belt to prevent the jar from falling off. 

Treadmill you say?

Hmmmm….🤔