APC Forum

PVC pipe = PVC???

PillaDoubleG

I've noticed that a lot of star compositions have either PVC or Parlon in them.

Since I can't get my hands on Parlon, I wanted to check if PVC pipes are 100% pure PVC and can be used for firework stars (once they have been milled down). I've skimmed through other videos, and I remember some comments saying that pvc pipes are not 100% PVC. Thought it would be worth a shot asking on here, if someone else has tried to make PVC powder themselves.

Thanks again. 

They have a percentage of Polyvinyl Chloride, but the problem is the plasticisers, and other additives which prevent breaking it down to a useable powder, inhibit burn, and make it pretty difficult to calculate the amount of PVC actually added to the composition. 

If you had access to the starting components for PVC..... But then I guess you wouldn't be asking....!  :-). 

Id also be curious where Parlon is inaccessible to you?

• Like 1

If fireworks ingredients are not available to you then try a wholesale polymer supplier for a 10 pound or kilo sample -even if you pay for it. Factories that make PVC articles buy raw PVC and compound it on site normally (plumbing pipe and swimming pool liner are both PVC but their compounds are very different) Soft products may be down to 40% pvc, hard products may be up to 80% pvc. 

• Like 1

Many years ago I worked at a factory that had PVC delivered by tanker truck. Sadly that firm has gone. Sadly the world wide hobbyist demand for pvc wouldn't amount to a tanker truck each year. Getting some supplier company to sell 5 kilos would be impossible. Maybe the usual pyro places have a stock of some chems, but certainly not all chems are retail in all countries.

18 hours ago, MicroGram said:

Nope, not the same. Why cant you find parlon? Were do you live?

While I could very likely order Parlon or PVC powder off of ebay, I live in Serbia, and since were not in the EU, when it comes to obscure chemicals or pyro-dedicated chemicals, it can be fairly hard to find a supplier. Plus, a lot of chemicals can actually be bought, but you have to own a company to order them, and if you have a company, your company specifically has to be related to the chemical you're buying.

There may be a pyro supplier in your area, they are not usually in directories! Maybe there is a company that makes PVC mouldings (pipes, sheets etc) who could let you have some from a spill or something.

Well you could certainly try ground up PVC it's not like any of us know 100% for fact that it would NOT work.  It probably would require a composition with high temperature, and a color where a little sodium contamination wouldn't completely overpower the color (like green or maybe red).  Are you even able to get Barium or Strontium salts to make color compositions? 

Another thought, maybe some research on how much PVC is in PVC glue, as it would be easy to add that to a composition..... May even contribute as a binder.

1 hour ago, Arthur said:

There may be a pyro supplier in your area, they are not usually in directories! Maybe there is a company that makes PVC mouldings (pipes, sheets etc) who could let you have some from a spill or something.

I have not heard of any pyro suppliers in my country honestly... They do exist in neighboring countries, but its too far away. But that PVC advice is a good call.
Will try it if I can! 

4 minutes ago, cmjlab said:

Well you could certainly try ground up PVC it's not like any of us know 100% for fact that it would NOT work.  It probably would require a composition with high temperature, and a color where a little sodium contamination wouldn't completely overpower the color (like green or maybe red).  Are you even able to get Barium or Strontium salts to make color compositions? 

Another thought, maybe some research on how much PVC is in PVC glue, as it would be easy to add that to a composition..... May even contribute as a binder.

Well yeah, grounded up PVC pipes would probably still give the wanted effect, but it definitely wouldn't be as good as pyro-grade PVC. I am able to get barium salts, but I haven't yet found a source of strontium. The problem there is that I'm kind of afraid to work with straight up nitric acid, but I will probably attempt in the future (with safety in mind). That PVC glue suggestion is also a good call.

Another thing, can I ask a completely different question in the same thread, because I don't want to keep flooding this topic with question only from me?

Better to separate different topics into separate threads if you want someone to see it sooner, as they may not know much about your PVC question.  

I don't think there's such a thing as opening to many threads if you have questions that aren't answered with a simple search, even then info changes over time, so no harm / no foul - send it!

• Like 1

Being in Serbia/Eastern Europe you can get any chemical you want. Not being in the EU is a bonus there. Less regulations. While you may not have local retailers/distributors that cater to Pyro, there's plenty of chemical companies that will sell you just about anything within reason. Keep searching, keep asking. Don't ever ask a company if they're "allowed" to sell you something. Just tell them what you want, give contact info and ask for a quote.  Poland and Czech Republic in particular have quite a few chem companies. Also you're relatively to close China. Start a working relationship with a company in one of these places and they will get you whatever your heart desires. 

Edited by MicroGram

Also there's a fellow here who's offered to source chemicals before; He's from Bosnia. Maybe he can help you. No idea if hes reputable or what but perhaps you and he can figure something out. His name is Mux. He's on the discord channel sometimes.

1 hour ago, MicroGram said:

Being in Serbia/Eastern Europe you can get any chemical you want. Not being in the EU is a bonus there. Less regulations. While you may not have local retailers/distributors that cater to Pyro, there's plenty of chemical companies that will sell you just about anything within reason. Keep searching, keep asking. Don't ever ask a company if they're "allowed" to sell you something. Just tell them what you want, give contact info and ask for a quote.  Poland and Czech Republic in particular have quite a few chem companies. Also you're relatively to close China. Start a working relationship with a company in one of these places and they will get you whatever your heart desires. 

While true, some chemicals are still either too dangerous or too obscure for companies to produce. However, there are a lot of bosnian-chinese and serbian-chinese companies making all sorts of chemicals (less serbian-chinese companies tho)... They have chlorates, metal powders, PVC and so on. I will ask some of these bosnian-chinese companies to see if it's possible to ship to Serbia, since they have a bigger selection.

58 minutes ago, MicroGram said:

Also there's a fellow here who's offered to source chemicals before; He's from Bosnia. Maybe he can help you. No idea if hes reputable or what but perhaps you and he can figure something out. His name is Mux. He's on the discord channel sometimes.

Interesting... Could you send me the discord server you are talking about? I haven't heard of it before. 

Also thanks for helping me out!

Another thing, there literally is a company IN MY CITY (about 25.000 people, so kind of remote) producing most of the chemicals I want, but it still requires you to own a company purchase the chemicals.

In some cases just printing up some business cards and showing up will do the trick. If that's not enough start a company. I'm not sure what kind of regulatory framework exists where you live, but in North America any individual can easily start/register a small company, usually called a LLC. Limited Liability Company.  Costs a few bucks and can be done online.

All of that should be completely unnecessary tho. Just keep searching.

And sorry, I cant seem to invite people to the Discord Server. I don't have the permission/role. The server address used to be linked right on the front page before the server update, but I don't see it now. Sorry.

19 hours ago, MicroGram said:

In some cases just printing up some business cards and showing up will do the trick. If that's not enough start a company. I'm not sure what kind of regulatory framework exists where you live, but in North America any individual can easily start/register a small company, usually called a LLC. Limited Liability Company.  Costs a few bucks and can be done online.

All of that should be completely unnecessary tho. Just keep searching.

I could do that, but honestly it's a lot of hassle for some chemicals... If i really need them, I'll probably just make them. But I'm still thankful for the advice!

19 hours ago, MicroGram said:

And sorry, I cant seem to invite people to the Discord Server. I don't have the permission/role. The server address used to be linked right on the front page before the server update, but I don't see it now. Sorry.

No worry, I'll continue the search on my own :)

An update, I actually have found a website selling basically all of the chemicals I need. It's pyrohobby.ru, and they seem to have everything I need, plus they can actually ship to Serbia... My only worry is if it will actually arrive, since Russia's still in a war... Has anybody ordered off of this site? Since it's probably my only shot of getting these super hard to get chemicals.

PVC pipes cannot be used as they have CaCO3 to make them white, this destroys any color you're aiming for, you'll only get orange. PVC pipe cement can be used though, it is almost pure PVC in MEK. However, the mixture is very wet because of the PVC cement, and quite challenging to cut. The blue is very good. Strontium carbonate can be sourced from pottery suppliers, nitrate is better, but with chlorate the colour is strong. 

Potassium Chlorate - 48 

Copper Oxychloride (can be bought as a fungicide or synthesized) - 10

Lactose - 10.5

Clear PVC cement - 28.5 

Dextrin - 3 (optional) 

On 11/30/2023 at 5:47 PM, MicroGram said:

I edited the relevant Announcement to highlight the Discord link; you can check the green-boxed one on the front-page sidebar.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, AustralianPyromaniac said:

PVC pipes cannot be used as they have CaCO3 to make them white, this destroys any color you're aiming for, you'll only get orange. PVC pipe cement can be used though, it is almost pure PVC in MEK. However, the mixture is very wet because of the PVC cement, and quite challenging to cut. The blue is very good. Strontium carbonate can be sourced from pottery suppliers, nitrate is better, but with chlorate the colour is strong. 

Potassium Chlorate - 48 

Copper Oxychloride (can be bought as a fungicide or synthesized) - 10

Lactose - 10.5

Clear PVC cement - 28.5 

Dextrin - 3 (optional) 

Interesting recipe, will try it! (if I can get the chemicals of course.) And thanks for the tips as well.