APC Forum

Making Chipboard End Discs (The Easiest DIY Way)

cmjlab

I needed a few more end discs today, and though buying them isn't to awfully expensive, it's nice to be able to knock out a quick 60 or so when you need it!  

I used an adjustable cutter sold by Harbor Freight for ~$25.00.  Sharpened the blades and re-hardened and tempered them with a blow torch and an oven. I used an angle grinder to grind down the center pivot piece, and voila, end discs cutter.

With a drill press set on medium speed, and x5 chipboard sheets taped together, I knocked out x60 2.5" end discs for 3" shells in approximately 90 seconds. Also works for nominal 4"-6" discs and down to 1.5".  I just use punches for anything smaller.PXL_20231125_201135236.thumb.jpg.ddb00d242f366e222188e8548675c9e0.jpg

• 1 month later...

I do have such drilling machine. Cool Idea...!!👌

I have the same adjustable cutter from the same place. They're a bitch to get set up evenly, but once you do get it set up for a job, it's almost better to buy another for the next job than to try and set it up again. 

But when you need one, there's nothing like it.

To get them aligned easier, I poke a hole in a piece of chipboard to use for the center pin, then get one blade to the right position for the size disc I am making and lock it in.  Then I chuck it up in the drill press and spin the locked blade to score a circle to use for aligning the 2nd blade in place.   

Once set, I score "witness marks" to save where exactly they need to be for a given size.  With that being said, I do have x2 of them since most of what I make is 3" and 4", I rarely have to move them for 5" and 6" discs.  Plus I make a bunch when I have time, so I don't have to worry about it for a year.

Edited by cmjlab