APC Forum

Weird blackpowder I'm trying to identify

PillaDoubleG

Hello APC, I've tried to find an answer for this, but I haven't gotten any answers, so I came to the forum for help!

I was watching an old styropyro where he was testing old recipes from an old chemistry cookbook. In one segment he made some gunpowder, how the book said to make it, and then he compared the books blackpowder, and his blackpowder. His homemade blackpowder was obviously better, but it looked very weird. His blackpowder was in very big granules, like 2-4 inch granules. I'll provide a screenshot below.

I wanted to ask this forum if they knew what type of blackpowder/what technique is this? Now bear in mind, I am a still fairly inexperienced pyro, so this may just be a common thing i haven't heard of but I've still never seen anyone make or talk about that type of blackpowder. Thanks in advance!!!

post-24465-0-24433500-1700473906_thumb.png

Edited by PillaDoubleG

Ignoring the formulation, the powder on the left is likely meal powder -milled and incorporated only. The powder on the right looks as if it's been further extruded or grated (cheese grater!). The preparation of the powder after milling is important.

Ignoring the formulation, the powder on the left is likely meal powder -milled and incorporated only. The powder on the right looks as if it's been further extruded or grated (cheese grater!). The preparation of the powder after milling is important.

Ahhh that makes sense, i thought that his blackpowder was granulated in a different way, using different ingredients and such. I'm used to seeing small granules, so that's why this confused me.

Thanks for helping!

I've not seen anyone prepare such large granulated B.P. either. As Arthur was saying, it's impossible to know which powder was truly faster, since they weren't prepared the same way

As your likely aware, granulated shitty B.P. will usually burn faster than I granulated good powder (not always, but generally speaking anyway). Those large chunks in the cup would probably burn even faster if broken back down to a smaller granulation.