APC Forum

1lb bp rocket payload capability

Mustapyro

I have a 1lb nozzleless hot BP rocket, do you guys think it will be able to lift a 210g header? I made the charcoal with white cedar, it's pretty comparable to ERC.

If properly made, a 1# BP nozzleless rocket can lift a 4" round shell (around 350g in average) without issues to the correct height. A well made motor would lift 500g. More is possible but 3# are preferred for such weight. Edited by a_bab

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to put it on a whistle motor. I press my bp motors to about 4500-5000 psi on the comp so it be a good enough motor, I've just never tested a header this big and have a shoot this weekend with my friends family so I wanted to make sure nothing will go wrong.

You might try a dummy shell with sand or litter, and perhaps a small charge to break the shell at apogee so a heavy dud doesn't return and hurt someone / cause damage. Try a couple to see what the magical number your motors can push and to what height, them you'd have a good idea of what weights to stay under.

I think I will, it just takes so long to press lol, I might make a fireball shell with cheap flower with a binary mixed flash report to ignite and spread it