APC Forum

Slow burning Visco fuse using superglue

Skyboomer

Hello. I did a search and couldnt find anything about this. If I use superglue on the fuse where I insert it into the firework, will the super glue slow or stop the fuse from burning? If it soaks into the fuse, I was worried it may neutralize the powder in the fuse. Thank you. Edited by Skyboomer

I don't think that cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) poses a significant risk of soaking into the core and ruining the fuse, if that's a concern for you, there's always thicker/more viscous superglue that would not likely soak into the fuse.

I've not tried using superglue in that capacity though.

Easy way to test - just cut a inch or two of your fuse, measure half the length, dip it in cyanoacrylate glue for a few minutes to give it a chance to soak to the core and on the submerged end and see what effect it has.

Or cut a long enough piece that you can bend it enough to soak the middle of the length in super glue, let it dry, then burn and see if there is a change in burn characteristics.

Thanks for the response. I did dip it into a very low viscosity superglue that I bought from Temu. Its runny but when it dries it sticks just fine. I let it dry out for a few hours and tested it. It burned right through the glue area with a bit more smoke and left a sticky residue afterwards. I just wanted to make sure about the long term effects, not that I keep anything around too long :)

Temu is the Debbil!

I had a quick safety question. Ive read that its safest to make and load flash powder in a highly humid environment. Ive also read that moisture can cause it to become reactive or degrade it. Which one is it? Im big on safety protocols and dont like surprises:). I have a Cool Mist type humidifier. Would that be appropriate to use to create a high moisture environment, say 70% or so?

People suggest a 50-60% relative humidity as preferable to reduce concerns of static electricity. Where I live it's rarely less than 50% (Virginia). Id also recommend static spray, grounding yourself to reduce static build up, non-metal instruments, etc.

Humidity (moisture in the surrounding air) doesn't really affect materials that aren't hygroscopic, or have an affinity to attract water (KN03, acetone, sodium nitrate, etc ), to varying degrees from slight absorbtion of moisture to being deliquescent (it turns to a liquid from attracting so much moisture). Not really a concern with KCL04.

Hello. I did a search and couldnt find anything about this. If I use superglue on the fuse where I insert it into the firework, will the super glue slow or stop the fuse from burning? If it soaks into the fuse, I was worried it may neutralize the powder in the fuse. Thank you.

I dont recommend superglue (Cyanoacrylate) for fuses, simple because it has a very low shear strength and shatters with impact.

Yes, super glue can migrate inside of visco fuse. Titebond ll wood glue is the better choice.