APC Forum

What the heck is the structure of those frog fuse/fireworks?

pyroboss235

I get that it has black powder or black match or something but every tutorial I have tried to make this fun little firework always looks like the segments are bulky and wierd and always go off all at once, meanwhile factory made ones are flat and neat segments and have no like ridges or any sign of black powder inside, so now Im confused because my version all goes off in one second(I tried every tutorial trust me) while the ones you may be able to find(the are rare) have a delay between pops, here I have included a image of a professionally made one probably from a factory (sorry that one of these have a salute of them, its the only one I could find of a picture of frog firework from the EU) hopefully I will be able to get some answers so I can make some of these jumping fireworks because I cannot find them anywhere, thanks!

see Jumping Jacks - Firework Nostalgia - UK Pyrotechnics Society Forums (pyrosociety.org.uk)

Fundamentally it's a length of quick match tied tightly and folded carefully. HOWEVER it's entire function and rate of function is dependant on the dimensions of the paperworks and the dimensions and tightness of the tying. I think -like Katherine Wheels- they were actually made from paper and powder and formed while damp. The dampness reduced the hazard in factories.

They've been banned from retail in Britain for 40+ years as "Fireworks of erratic flight" - they could in normal use jump randomly about including into the audience.

I have no idea! They could be replicated simply using trade supplies of QM or they could be made by glueing the inside edge of the paper and dusting the glue with powder.

Remember that the Masclettas of Mediterranean culture can be fused with QM and this gets tied tightly to make small delays.

• 3 weeks later...

They are/were made from four or five strands of black match in a ribbon as air spaces between strands makes it all go off at the same time. I made several jigs for these several years ago for those wanting to remake an old favorite.

I have the last jig sitting here on my desk, it's very simple really, just a block of wood with holes for aluminum pins so that the QM can be held as you tie it up.

Ill have to search my notes but I think it was 6 or 8 layers of kraft paper over the ribbon of match and folded tightly while still "moist". I let the match dry for about an hour after pulling it then cut a single ribbon off the winder and laying it on a strip of kraft paper about 4" wide and instead of rolling it up round, you fold the paper over the flat match and fold again and again, apply a very small amount of white glue to hold it together, use a wet sponge, wipe both sides of the paper and start folding the Z.

Too dry and the corners dont double pleat like the pictures show. Too wet and the corners break.

Good luck!