APC Forum

Rocket press

LuisThePyro

I think if you price it out for a new press, you'd not do much better than a few hundred in savings, if that (and prob using sub-par or used stuff). Woody's presses provide peace of mind, a guy that stands by his work, and it's all new/functional/aligned out of the box.

That being said - I can't afford one either right now. I only mess with rockets up to 1#, which a P2F gauge and a 3 Ton Arbor Press (with a loooooong bar and solid mounting) have worked for me.

If you want to build a hydraulic press, there used to be a couple guides floating around on PyroBin, but that site is down. The only guides I've seen recently are on Fire working.com and Passfire.com, but both require a subscription.

If you have the technical knowledge how and have the right tools, I'm sure you it is possible to save money and build one. Good luck.

Go for a manual press and feel very limited, or buy a big press and be totally capable.

Half and three quarter inch should be OK on a well fixed manual press but no bigger. Ask before you buy about the force required to properly utilise any of the available star plates.

A DIY press depends totally on your engineering ability and available tools. A press can be driven by a 2, 5 or 10 ton manual hydraulic jack IF your engineering of the frame can withstand the forces involved. A manual press will work but a powered press will work so much faster.

You may be interested in Dan Creagan's site. It shows a couple of semi-off the shelf options that are more modified tools from placed like Harbor Freight. They're not as nice and will likely take more screwing around with to work quite well. That's part of the cost associated with the presses from Woody or Ben or formerly Rich Wolter. I gotta say though, if you ever get to use one you might find yourself spoiled. They are pricy, but they are nice. Sometimes they'll run deals on them, particularly around PGI. Occasionally you can scoop up a used one as well. Something to keep an eye on down the road if you find you want to upgrade some day.

http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fireworks/rockets/presses.html

Edited by Mumbles
Forgot to add link

I built a rocket press with scrap metal and a 8 ton hydraulic jack and it worked great. Used a P2F gauge. I grew tired of pumping the jack and replaced it with an air over hydraulic jack. That also worked great for awhile but noise of compressor grew tiresome to listen to. So I got a press from Ben and it is simply the best. Yes, cost a bit but but if you are serious in the hobby it is well worth the money. I did some modifications like a joystick instead of up and down buttons. And added a TOF relay to eliminate the slight downward movement when stopping going up. Have posted the wiring diagram with relay and joystick on fireworking. Can post it here if anyone wants it.

So While I enjoy my press made by Ben Smith I was always annoyed by the down drift at end of an upstroke. This happens because the valves for "up" close immediately while the motor continues to coast for a split second. Simple fix is to add a TOF relay to hold valves open until motor stops. I did that this past weekend and now no more drift, Up means UP.

I really liked the idea of a joystick so I added that upgrade last year. I drew a schematic for how my press is currently wired and am providing links to the parts I used. My relay is set 80% of 1 sec. I used a Hoffman 2 button box for mine but I got that free and it was a really tight fit. Multiple relays on that page you want the version in the schematic. And yes link is for 20 diodes but it's only $6.

press%20schematic.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CGB9XRD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBSYR36

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q7YNZZF

I've got that same issue, Fred. Can you post a photo of your installation? Did you put it in a project box or similar?

I do wanna press strobes , I do need to get to atleast 8000 psi on the p2f if I cant figure how to run the hoses might just cave in and buy a woodys

Woody's press is designed for pyro uses. It's powered so it's easy to drive and very repeatable over batches.

HarborFright offers some really cheap presses without the power facility and without all the controllability and without much of the price.

YOU have to make a choice.

Did you have any problems with the pressure adjuster ?

I dont own that powerpack, sorry I didn't say that up front, I was pointing out cheap alternatives. I have an SPX DA that cost me four times that of the Vevor. I have a second press that needs a power pack and that's what I am getting for it.

• 3 weeks later...