APC Forum

Fast BP isn’t fast anymore…

Darude90

2 months ago i made a batch of BP with some homemade willow charcoal and it was really fast.. today i tested it to compare with some other, and my BP isnt nearly as fast as it was before😓 What could be the problem? It is stored in a container.

Maybe it had some moisture left in it and over time it allows nitrate to crystallize out while in storage, separating from being finely mixed to slightly less finely mixed.

Without knowing more, we'd be hard up to guess why. And even if we knew more, it's such a subjective viewpoint that there really is no good answer without fine controls of all the variables.

Anywho, my $0.02..... I'm sure there will be several dollars more!

Edited by cmjlab

What was the test method? I would hate to speculate on causes if there was a bunch of subjectivity rolled in to the evaluation.

More seriously, does the powder still function? What does it need to do? Does it do it?

Its made with homemade willow char and stored in a shed, I thought moisture too, but it looks still te same Im gonna dry it on an tray in the sun, and re-mill it and hopefully it will gain some power back. Wil that work?

What was the test method? I would hate to speculate on causes if there was a bunch of subjectivity rolled in to the evaluation.

More seriously, does the powder still function? What does it need to do? Does it do it?

It still burns but not as fast.. i was gonna granulate it or coat some ricehuls.. but i think its to slow now dor decent lift or burst.

Is it powder or has it been granulated? Moisture is a fairly likely candidate. Charcoal and nitrate have a propensity to pick up moisture over time. Nitrate more so if it's not pure. Just being clumpier and denser can make it burn slower out in the open, but under pressure under or in a shell, it performs about the same in my experience.

Trying to dry it out in the sun likely will help.

• Like 1

Is it powder or has it been granulated? Moisture is a fairly likely candidate. Charcoal and nitrate have a propensity to pick up moisture over time. Nitrate more so if it's not pure. Just being clumpier and denser can make it burn slower out in the open, but under pressure under or in a shell, it performs about the same in my experience.

Trying to dry it out in the sun likely will help.

Its still powder, im gonna try to dry it and granulate+test!

I hope u are right about the performance!

I save the desiccants packets you find in food and electronics.
You know those little packets that say “do not eat”.

You can pop them in an oven of any sort at @ 250F for about 30 minutes or an hour if you like to reactivate or dry them out.

Put one or two into your compositions. It will help keep them from collecting moisture.

You can easily make your own by baking epsom salts.

Theres info online.

I save the desiccants packets you find in food and electronics.

You know those little packets that say “do not eat”.

You can pop them in an oven of any sort at @ 250F for about 30 minutes or an hour if you like to reactivate or dry them out.

Put one or two into your compositions. It will help keep them from collecting moisture.

You can easily make your own by baking epsom salts.

Theres info online.

No kidding! Huh. Since I have a spice house that makes my rubs and brines for sale, I get those packs for ..well, used to be next to nothing. They DO work. And no..don’t eat ‘em :D

Moisture may be a problem according to where you live and the weather, but expectations can be the problem! If your powder has improved over the years, then old powder will be at a poorer standard as you find it.