APC Forum

Foil tape

LuisThePyro

I've heard of people using it yea. One guy was saying it pops off as soon as the core ignites but provides a tiny bit of containment and ensures everything ignites evenly from the quickmatch. Can't remember who i heard that from, or if i read it somewhere or what. I've never tried it. Don't have much experience with rockets, so take it with a grain of salt.

There are few things we dont often address, one of them is flame propagation within the core. I saw a hundred or more good rocket motors pop right on the rack a few weeks back that were right on the edge impulse wise. The reason this happened is that at rest, the rocket motor gasses are pushing against a fluid we call air.

That resistance allows/makes the flame propagate all the way up the spindle hole, creating too much pressure too fast and a RUD happens.

Once a rocket gets flying, the movement through the air helps lower the pressure behind the motor nozzle, lessening the chance of a RUD.

Foil tape causes the same phenomenon, the flame propagates up the core too fast and the rocket RUD's. You may need to tone down the fuel or even coat the core with a little thinned vaseline to slow the flame if you pop them on the rack.