APC Forum

Making Whistle Rockets

SSHPyro

I'm wanting to make some of my own rockets (strobes & whistles) I have been researching whistle rockets before I attempt to do it. I'm using a potassium perchlorate and sodium benzoate mix for my whistle fuel, and through my research most people use a hydraulic press to make them and press them. I have also seen some people using a vice, is it safe to use a vice for this or should I just invest in a hydraulic press?

Potassium Perchlorate

I wouldn't use a vice, it'd be hard to measure the force that you are applying while trying to keep a spindle, tube and pressing sleeve aligned. I also doubt that a vice would achieve enough pressure/force (7k PSI +) for a whistle or strobe rocket.

If you are going to make whistle and strobe rockets, of invest in good tooling, a pressing sleeve, a pressure to force gauge, and a press (doesn't have to be a $3k battery operated hydraulic press. You could get a Northern Tools bench manual hydraulic press, which uses a hand pump OR if you want to save money, you could try sourcing the parts to build your own (I'd opt for a small bench manual hydraulic press).

Strobe and Whistle Rockets are far more sensitive than B.P. rockets, and will do much more dage if they go off in close proximity (like when pressing). You will need a shield of some type (lexan, plexiglass, or if you are good, steel - but you won't be able to see what you are doing obviously...) on your press, or between you and the rocket tooling when pressing. God forbid you have a whistle or strobe rocket go off while your pressing, that shield may be the difference between a bad day with possible hospital visit, and a morgue visit.

Lastly, have you successfully made B.P. rockets yet? I'd advise starting there because they are much more forgiving (but if you know what you are doing, or just don't want any suggestions, them at least be safe).

You can make BP rockets simply with a mallet or hammer, Start there!

Whistle and strobe fuels are much more energetic and NEED the correct tools and presses.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wanting to make some of my own rockets (strobes & whistles) I have been researching whistle rockets before I attempt to do it. I'm using a potassium perchlorate and sodium benzoate mix for my whistle fuel, and through my research most people use a hydraulic press to make them and press them. I have also seen some people using a vice, is it safe to use a vice for this or should I just invest in a hydraulic press?

Potassium Perchlorate

It's unlikely that you will have a throat deep enough to use whistle/strobe tooling in a vice. The alignment will also be a huge issue, the jaws in a vice tend to bow out under pressure and the jaws will ruin your tooling.

A 3 ton arbor press will serve you better but a hydraulic press is the best method. Harbor Freight sells a 12 and 20 ton floor press that many new rocketeers use, they are very affordable. You can also upgrade it to a DA powerpack press in the future if you wish.

Benzo whistle is definitely the best place to start, I suggest the baggie method and red iron oxide for your catalyst and mineral oil for your phlegmatizer.