APC Forum

Wet BP

Dalle

I made a batch with BP according to Ned Gorski where they diluted red gum with alcohol.

I accidentally poured in too much alcohol so it got way too wet. Can you wait until the alcohol has evaporated or just throw it away?

I was going to granulate it later.

For reference.. I use perhaps 2-3 grams H2o/methanol in a 40 gram puck. No binder. Not needed when pressed. Never really screened..it’s a band-aid. Press it.

For reference.. I use perhaps 2-3 grams H2o/methanol in a 40 gram puck. No binder. Not needed when pressed. Never really screened..it’s a band-aid. Press it.

I just weighed a couple pucks I pressed and weighed last week. An average of 1.7 g was lost drying. Soo..I guess it’s more like..well, 1.7 grams of moisture :D

I just weighed a couple pucks I pressed and weighed last week. An average of 1.7 g was lost drying. Soo..I guess it’s more like..well, 1.7 grams of moisture :D

RT, he's wet granulating so it takes more moisture than corning. If he's not springing for a hobby mill, what's the likelihood he's going to buy a press? As Arthur said, the extra alcohol will evaporate, and faster in the summertime. You can rewet it if it goes too far. BP is pretty forgiving. It just needs proper ingredients (charcoal) and good incorporation (milling) to work great.

OP, red gum "BP" sux. Especially if you are using those ridiculous kits that Skyrobber and unfortunately others sell as 'no milling required'. You'll never get better than mediocre results with that approach. Unfortunately, Ned, typically a respected fireworker and tutor, had a fiscal arrangement with SkyRobber that cost him some mojo in shitty advice advocating that nonsense. Ditch the shitty commercial airfloat charcoal if that's what you're using, get or make some real charcoal, and make some real BP. A HF mill and media will run you a hundred bucks in the US, and you can for sure find one in Sweden even if it costs a little more.

Your results will be amazing. The red gum approach will result in consistently mediocre (at best) BP.

Edited by SharkWhisperer

Ok i hawe to try and press it next time.

SharkWisper: No, I do not use chemicals from American sites because they do not sell to Sweden. I shop from Pyrogarage.pl.

Thx for advise.

RT, he's wet granulating so it takes more moisture than corning.

Yeah,,,it was a poorly worded attempt to tell him to press and corn. I have tried granulation. It’s more of a mess (if that’s possible) and returns nothing faster as a matchhead. And weaker in strength. Turns back to powder if ya look at it askance. The Bud Light of BP :D

Ok i hawe to try and press it next time.

SharkWisper: No, I do not use chemicals from American sites because they do not sell to Sweden. I shop from Pyrogarage.pl.

Thx for advise.

Pyrogarage has a pretty good selection. Their vine charcoal could probably make some very nice BP.

Interesting they're selling powdered nickel, cerium oxide, and various oxylates, too. Good price on parallel-wound tubes. 100m lengths of skinny green visco.

Business-to-business for perc/chlorates.