APC Forum

Reactive Targets

SharkWhisperer

Interesting mix of KCLO3 and potassium ascorbate (eventually), that seems to work fine if bound with NC or other polymers.

Less sensitive than Armstrong's but still sensitive enough to be set off by a pellet gun. Interesting.

Edited by SharkWhisperer
  • Like 1

odd mix, eh? Potassium hydroxide? Chlorate and an acid?? Those Mex/Spanish/S Americans... reminds me of the “Hammer Festivals" :D

Edited by Richtee

odd mix, eh? Potassium hydroxide? Chlorate and an acid?? Those Mex/Spanish/S Americans... reminds me of the “Hammer Festivals" :D

The solution of potassium hydroxide neutralizes the ascorbic acid into potassium ascorbate (hence "eventually" as SW wrote). I was waiting for Liptakov's usual jump scare explosion as he scraped the material from the pan. Interesting that it doesn't seem to be very friction sensitive.

Edited by FrankRizzo

The solution of potassium hydroxide neutralizes the ascorbic acid into potassium ascorbate (hence "eventually" as SW wrote). I was waiting for Liptakov's usual jump scare explosion as he scraped the material from the pan. Interesting that it doesn't seem to be very friction sensitive.

In one of the comments he indicated that it still had a few % of moisture in it when he was scraping and that was sufficient to inhibit friction ignition. Not sure I'd be so carefree with it, though. He also wrote that he was able to store it for several months. I think I'd try out drying a thick slurry in bottle caps for mini-targets before scraping almost-dry comp out of a hot pan.

• 2 weeks later...

That video scared the heck outa me lol. Then i realized it was a Laboratory of Liptakov video. He knows what he's doing. Never seen a video of his done in Spanish so i was confused.

Still, some weird, scary shit IMO!

Edited by MicroGram