APC Forum

Adding Titanium to BP NC Ematch Mix

thehole

Making a very simple ematch dip mix since it's my first time.

I've read that the proper black powder & nitrocellulose mix ratio by weight is 70% BP to 30% NC lacquer (which itself is 10% ping pong ball).

I want to add titanium to this mix to ensure a hot enough reaction, but not sure how much to start with.
What's a ballpark ratio for this?

Thank you

Edit: I'm using those orange ematches from China, without pyrogen on the end. So a very tiny ga nichrome, maybe 45?

Edited by thehole

I'd be curious where you found ping pong balls that were made of NC now a days...

What size Titanium are you using.

To your question:

- When adding metals to pyrotechnic compositions like stars / gerbs, 5% - 10% is a good starting point.

-where did you find those percentages for ematch pyrogen? (I'm not criticizing , I'm truly just curious) I'd imagine really boils down to whatever amount gets you the consistency to dip your uncoated ematch.

- if the B.P. / Ping Pong ball mixture isn't sensitive enough for whatever you are using them for, you may have to follow a more traditional ematch 1st fire / 2nd fire method / formula.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!

There's a local pingpong supplies shop (seriously) that had packs of Donic-Schildkrot coloured NC balls on sale.

I figured 325 mesh would be a good size for the titanium, thinking it will react more quickly, but they do offer different sizes if you think bigger might be better?

This is where I found those percentages: https://pyrodata.com/definitions/Electrical-Ignitor
It does seem like way too much BP, but I am new to this.

IMO I think the Ti you have will work fine for the purpose you are going for, but if you make a more sensitive pyrogen, fine Ti like you have can increase friction seneitivity (just a risk to be aware of).

I'm not sure if you are based in the U.S. but if you run out of ping pong balls, single or double base smokeless propellant (shotgun shell or one of the other fast burning ones) can be used as it consists of mostly NC (single base) and NC with portion of NG added. Just add to acetone to get consistency of molasses or a bit thinner.

Lastly, the best input you will get to your question is to mix up a small amount (now that you know it's not overly dangerous or sensitive), and see for yourself how well it works.

Depending on the other variables like homemade vs purchased ematch, and if homemade - what nichrome wire thickness, and amp input, you may get a bit longer delay before the ematch fires since KNO3 has a higher ignition point than KCL03. Good luck!

Plain ole BP with some iron filings bound with NC is a sparky mix that’ll touch off most anything. Sure.. some Ti would help I guess. But..why spend the money? File a few nails. I used some +100-80 magalum I got for dragon’s eggs. Had it on hand. THAT shit’s sparky-bright!

I agree, larger metals make great sparks! But if you want hot / guaranteed ignition, imo/experience, dark AL or similar finer metals produce more heat. Good example being a prime that passes fire to a hard to ignite composition. Most don't use just B.P. and a course metal, but go for the "hot prime" using KCL04 and a fiber metal, then B.P. to catch the first spark and ignite the "hot prime".