APC Forum

10lb/50mm Whistle Tool

Thenupp

Hello!

I am currently trying to make 10lb Whistle rockets but first i need a good tool for that. I have the ability's to make it myself but i need a plan/messaurments for it. For now, i came up with this:
(messaurments in millimeters)

IMG_0371.jpg

Also i have some questions:

What whistle mix would be the best? I wanted to use RG-Whistle 70/30/2 KClO4/Potassium Benzoate/Red Gum granulated
What material would be the best for that kind of tool? Stainless steel? or should only the spindle made out of stainless steel?

How long should the rammers be? (my guess, 3 rammers, first one full spindle, second half spindle, third only top)

How long should the final rocket motor be? (tube length and whistle lenght)

How much whistle would fit inside the rocket motor? 1-2kg?

Thanks for the help!

Hopefully you have previously made tools (and motors!) nearly this size. Whistle is unforgiving and big motors will make big bangs if not done right.

It's easy to calculate the volume of fuel required then you can calculate the mass of fuel needed. Be very sure that your press is powerful enough, and your technique is good enough that the fuel is fully packed into the space available.

• 3 months later...

Did you make any progress on this?

Also, (I know this is an old post), but I believe there is a formula for modern tube dimensions.... I'd have to look through notes, it was some number x the spindle diameter or something like that.

Think he blew himself up?

Back in 2010, Dan Thames used spent fiberglass mortars as motor casings for his rockets.

WOW!!!

Geesh, I hope not! I can't imagine the shockwave something that large would make if something went wrong!