APC Forum

Hardened lead millmedia

Darude90

With the regulations in Europe thee will be few if any suppliers. Possibly you could cast your own using wheel balancing weights or roofing lead. Possibly you could use alumina or other ceramic balls -they work and are retail from UK.

Someone knows were to get hardened lead millingmedia in europe?

Perhaps sporting goods suppliers? I use a mix of .45 and.68 caliber black powder projectiles.

• Like 1

Perhaps sporting goods suppliers? I use a mix of .45 and.68 caliber black powder projectiles.

The .50 cal lead musketballs I use are not hardened. Do they make hardened-lead projectiles?

Probably harder to source in Europe, too. Some US companies might ship them to you but I wouldn't even hazard a guess on what shipping costs might be or customs' attitudes.

It's easy to find a mould for casting your own lead fishing sinkers (weights) there are some 8 cavity moulds for 15g lead ball sinkers on ebay (UK) at the moment. You'd have to find lead and possibly antimony (for alloying to make hardened lead). Then you'd need lots of time and propane.

Search ebay for "Ceramic balls for ball milling" they are available in several sizes. ebay.co.uk/itm/265427845823

It's easy to find a mould for casting your own lead fishing sinkers (weights) there are some 8 cavity moulds for 15g lead ball sinkers on ebay (UK) at the moment. You'd have to find lead and possibly antimony (for alloying to make hardened lead). Then you'd need lots of time and propane.

Search ebay for "Ceramic balls for ball milling" they are available in several sizes. ebay.co.uk/itm/265427845823

Thanks 👍🏻

Edited by Darude90
  • Like 1

The .50 cal lead musketballs I use are not hardened. Do they make hardened-lead projectiles?

Huh...well, guess I’m not sure. I kinda thought the balls had some amount of antimony for some reason. Maybe not. But even if not I have used (not heavily) these 3 years or so and they are still quite serviceable. Prolly made 20-ish pounds of powder. Guess I could measure one. Hmm... the .45’s are down to .43 and the .68’s are .65

• Like 1