Dalle

I was going to do

Brilliant-Red Plasma-Cutter Torch Fuel:

Component Percent Factor 3.5 oz 100 g

Strontium nitrate 50% 0.50 1.75 oz 50 g

Magnalium, 200-mesh 20% 0.20 0.7 oz 20 g

Parlon 20% 0.20 0.7 oz 20 g

Red gum 10% 0.10 0.35 oz 10 g

But i cant get (magnalium 200 mesh) only Magnalium 150 mesh or 250 mesh.

is that a big diffrense whith the result?

Thx for answer.

Edited by Dalle

The difference should be negligible (depending on the cut (mesh sorting breakdown) of your Mg/Al. The worst that would happen is that your gerb / fountain may have some magnalium sparks that take a bit longer to burn up outside of the flame, but it's pretty close to the size called for, so it is unlikely to be much difference.

Get a video and share!

Ok thanks.

How do i upload a video??

Edited by Dalle

Who has given this formula its name?

Why not only bright red or similar?

I was gonna suggest to just buy a road flare. :D Plasma cutters don’t make a red “flame”. They don’t make a flame proper at all. Well, when the molten metal blown out hits the greasy floor, but that’s a different story :D

I was gonna suggest to just buy a road flare. :D Plasma cutters don’t make a red “flame”. They don’t make a flame proper at all. Well, when the molten metal blown out hits the greasy floor, but that’s a different story :D

Rich hey,

That's from Ned's Skylighter tutorial (https://www.skylighter.com/blogs/how-to-make-fireworks/plasma-cutter-fountain). It's just a red metallic fountain, but it's a decent effect. I've used it. It's actually a great way to get new folks into metallic comps. Safer on the ground... That said, it will blow up if over-contained or if additives clog the nozzle. Else it looks like a rip-roaring red gerb...nice actually!

Rich hey,

That's from Ned's Skylighter tutorial (https://www.skylighter.com/blogs/how-to-make-fireworks/plasma-cutter-fountain). It's just a red metallic fountain

I guess I need to read more. It’s still a silly name, tho :D I have always liked the “somewhat” more involved metallic fueled colors/stars, but never made alot of them for whatever reason. I DID try a Roman candle with them. Boy was that loud. “Colored ball grenade” There...that’s pretty silly too :D

Edited by Richtee

I guess I need to read more. It’s still a silly name, tho :D I have always liked the “somewhat” more involved metallic fueled colors/stars, but never made alot of them for whatever reason. I DID try a Roman candle with them. Boy was that loud. “Colored ball grenade” There...that’s pretty silly too :D

Yeah, dumb name, especially when the still photo in the tutorial shows a blue cutter. It's a simple comp that works well. A good introduction to rubber comps. Nice tall hot red fire. Get an 8-12' vigorous flame out of a 3/4" ID rocket tube (nozzled).

Both parlon and RG in many similar rubber star comps, so stars can be wetted/consolidated using either acetone or alcohol. Super fast drying with acetone, even larger comets. I've only ever used acetone to take advantage of the parlon for binding rubber stars--I wonder if pure alcohol to bind with the RG would get super sticky and annoying to work with? I do step prime rubber stars using a mix of acetone/IPA for slower evaporation than plain acetone, to make sure the prime has time to bind tightly. Works well. Anybody ever bind rubber stars using alcohol only?

Yeah, those accidental grenades can be really pretty!