APC Forum

Is KNDX (kno3-dextrose) r-candy considered safer than KNSU r-candy (kno3-sucrose)?

Sentuel

First of all, the title is only one of the questions i have about this propellant, but that is a major question. So here are all of them:
  1. As i said, is KNDX considered safer than KNSU in general?
  2. Is it safe to make KNDX on a hot plate?
  3. At what temperature should KNDX be melted/prepared?
  4. Is it better to use the evaporation method (dissolve ingredients and boil away the water) or the regular method (thoroughly mix and then melt the ingredients while mixing)?
  5. Are there things that i should look out for or things to consider when it comes to making KNDX or anything like that, when it comes to safety or efficiency?
I'd love to hear these questions answered, even if only some of them.

Arthur, this guy's been ignored over in the rocketry and pyrotechnic sections of Reddit because it is obvious he chooses not to do the bare minimum of self study on the topic.

Here's a start for you, already suggested but with a direct link because you repeatedly request hand-holding: https://www.nakka-rocketry.net/dex.html

I'm curious as to what makes one form of rocket propellant safer than the other? Without doing a bunch of looking, id guess were referring to a different ignition temperature? But surely it can't very that much to make it considerably safer than the other right?

When cooking rocket propellant by melting, even if one adds water to reduce the amount of total time it's in a dangerous state of catching fire due to hot spots, it can and will still catch on fire if not kept below the autoignition temp (whatever that temp is).

A long diatribe to say that I wouldn't consider anything less than 100° difference in autoignition temp "MUCH safer" than the other as it COULD still ignite causing damage or injury.

These are not necessarily answers to your question.... Just an observation to point out that "safer" is a very subjective term from one person to the next.

Edited by cmjlab

Something being safe is all in the way you go about doing that particular thing. Just take precautions, be patient and don't rush anything.

1. Read EVERYTHING BEFORE ATTEMPTING IT. Do this 3 times.

2. If you don't have time to do a particular step, you don't have time to do anything. Don't start it.

3. Don't hand ram anything. Like don't. BP is ok but if you want to ask, the answer is no.

4. IF you decide to heat something like R-Candy (any recipe) up, please do so in a water bath. It's no fun having R-Candy go up in the pan....

Just my 2 cents....

And remember- everything you are attempting is designed to burn or explode.

Silly isn’t it? :D

4. IF you decide to heat something like R-Candy (any recipe) up, please do so in a water bath. It's no fun having R-Candy go up in the pan....

That would be very, very safe and useless. To melt R-Candy much higher temperature is needed than that of boiling water. It could work with another medium, maybe glycerol or oil... Knowing the melting point of used sugar and having thermometer in the bath would help a lot.