APC Forum

What ball mill should I buy?

investinbest

My suggestion would always be to look for a tumbler with rubber jar. The hard plastic jars whether custom or retail make a lot of noise. which after a few hours becomes wearing on you and the neighbours. If a rock tumbler says 2kg (or whatever) that's all it will turn, so that's the total weight of media and ingredients. You will almost certainly need ceramic media.

• Like 1

If you are new to this and are just starting out, then you are in the same boat I was in not that many years ago. I was looking for the cheapest solution I could find (realizing that itay take me longer to achieve the same result as others with homemade or more expensive ball mills), and I just wanted something that would work (not be the best at it).

The cheapest (if feasible): is to build your own mill. Make a PVC jar. Cast your own lead media. ($)

2nd cheapest: Build a mill, buy a rebel ball mill jar ($89.00 / Jar). ($$). (I do it this way)

Most Expensive / Best Way / Most Efficient: Buy a mill and a jar, and buy lead media. ($$$)

FWIW: If you do buy a rock polisher online, make sure it's one you can modify (motor and rods) because they won't spin fast enough for efficient B.P. milling after your first or second time making B.P. (if it spins the mill with lead media at all)

• Like 1

To clarify my post - a "mill" and a "rock polisher" are not the same. A mill would look like a polisher possibly, but has been modified with a larger motor to handle the weight, and likely a different gearing / pulley ratio to spin faster and more efficiently. Edited by cmjlab

I have had a couple. The one I have now is called “Tumble Bee”. It may take bit of fussing with, but it’s a good rubber jar system, and will do 200 gram batches (plus a pound and a half) of lead media (.58 and .44 cal lead shot).

Double-Barrel Rotary Rock Tumbler, Tumble-Bee$129.95Home Science ToolsGet it by 7/5

Hmm on edit, mine has a single barrel about the size of that model. Look around.

Edited by Richtee
  • Like 1

Good Point Richtee! I always think 1k batches of B.P. when thinking about a ball mill. All my options above refer to making a 1kg batch, as it gets old making small batches when you are burning through 40-50 lbs of B.P. a year making shells!

Option 4 (as described by Richter - do the rock polisher route, buy some lead muzzleloader balls, and run smaller batches to produce B.P. (200g I'm assuming). This may not be a bad idea if you just want to make some B.P. to get your "feet wet" and score an early success with Pyro.

Edited by cmjlab

I can find rock tumblers up to 12 pounds (content weight) on ebay.com

Most rock tumblers will not turn a load of lead balls simply because a mill jar full is too heavy. Use CERAMIC media. With ceramic media you should be able to load a 12 pound jar with 9 pounds of media and 3 pounds of ingredients and make a batch in 4 hours.

A sample of powder with a 100ppm of lead powder is marked as home made.

Good Point Richtee! I always think 1k batches of B.P. when thinking about a ball mill. All my options above refer to making a 1kg batch, as it gets old making small batches when you are burning through 40-50 lbs of B.P. a year making shells!

Option 4 (as described by Richter - do the rock polisher route, buy some lead muzzleloader balls, and run smaller batches to produce B.P. (200g I'm assuming). This may not be a bad idea if you just want to make some B.P. to get your "feet wet" and score an early success with Pyro.

200 gram batches make enough for me for a bit. I retired, remember? :D Also, smaller batches make it more efficient to “tune it in”. If your needs demand, then you have the formula for a KG+ batch.

A sample of powder with a 100ppm of lead powder is marked as home made.

Huh. Is this some “spec” I never heard of? Atho I know my BP has lead. It’s worrisome, but I should be more worried about “Bn”. Bourbon :D

The taggants deliberately put into manufacturers batches of high explosives can identify the explosive, the batch,etc at 100ppm levels.