APC Forum

Anyone know where to view rec.pyrotechnics?

FlaMtnBkr

Sorry if this is the wrong place but it's about info about pyro and gets the most views...

Like the title says, anyone know where rec.pyrotechnics can be viewed or even archived and can be downloaded? It's also important that it can be searched. Found one website with something like "narkive" in the address but I couldn't figure out how to search it.

While you do have to sort thru and sift out info, there is lots of good information from some big names in the pyro world. It would be a shame if 10s of thousands of subjects/threads from over more than a decade were lost.

I always used Google to access it but now it says "banned content warning" and doesn't look like you can go any further and look at the old stuff. Yeah, it got spammed and no one posted anymore and was unusable but it's the old stuff that has value.

Anyways, can anyone point me in the right direction? An archived file would probably be better since it will just become more difficult to find as news groups are forgotten about and any new stuff from last few years isn't important.

Thanks!

I don't know much about "Usenet" but if you do, there is supposedly a server at the site (Link 2 Below), which contains a complete archive copy of "rec.pyrotechnics" (1st Link below).

Usenet SERVER WITH ARCHIVE OF "rec.pyrotechnics":

setenv NNTPSERVER news.armory.com

LINK TO USENET FAQ (WITH ARCHIVE SERVER)

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/pyrotechnics-faq/

Edited by cmjlab

Thanks for the link but I didn't have much luck. Once there, one link took me to the Google host that says it contains banned content since it got badly spammed the last few years.

The other link that said there was an archived copy appears to be taken down.

I started reading it close to 20 years ago and always used a web browser to access it but apparently news groups could be read with a "news reader" which I guess was some sort of program that automatically downloaded new msgs to your machine for any of the news groups you were interested in or subscribed to. So maybe the old content is available in a different format using a program (that likely hasn't been updated in the last decade) so I'll have to do some research into how the groups were originally viewed.

Guess I also need to check to see if the Internet archive has the Google groups version before it was blocked and then try to figure out how to download all the content.

It really does contain a wealth of knowledge for anyone willing to search or poke around. Was hoping someone knowledgeable with new groups would have a quick solution. If I ever get it figured out I'll try to provide it here for anyone that might be interested.

Are you on FW.com? "AndyH" said he logged back into that Google groups yesterday, to read his old posts (in response to some questions someone asked). You could try reaching out to him.

I bet it's still there, it's probably just locked so no more content can be posted and no new users can sign up.

Edited by cmjlab
  • Like 1

There's a website called Narkive that seems to have most of the posts still available. It's pretty glitchy though.

Best to search Narkive and whatever topic you're interested in on Google.

Yeah the search function wasnt working on Narkive for me

It never has, it just times out.

Using Google is the workaround I've found.

AndyH is a member here and a friend of mine. I'll see if I can get him to swing by and give some tips.

• 1 month later...

Try a site specific Google search roundabout:

"no antimony glitter + rec.pyrotechnics site:narkive.com"

minus the quotes
4K41a3U830tk.png

Edited by sora