APC Forum

small canister shell videos

Sourdough

well, that video didnt seem to work. my technology skills are worse than my (very amateur) pyro skills. if i can figure out how, ill try to post the video again.

Sounds cool! Looking forward to the video.

Maybe a YouTube account? You can set the videos to unlisted if you don't want anyone to find them via Google search, it makes it so only people with a direct link or embed (posted here) can view them.

Hard to say much without being able to see it, but KP has always seemed to have a shell size sweet spot for me. Too small and they don't burst hard enough, too big and they slam really hard. I hope you had better luck. For me it was always kind of 4-6" ball shells. 8" would probably be fine too, but I switched to something else by the time I progressed that far. I've also never really tried it much with cylinders, so it may be different with the stronger walls. Looking forward to seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...
i have not found a teenager to help yet. im unfortunately technologically challenged. hopefully when the kids come down on memorial day

That was a good looking glitter shell. Broke at a good height too. Did it have a comet attached to the outside of it too?

kind of cheated, i hot glued a tiger tail star to the bottom of the shell. it usually works well.

Looked good. Maybe you'd have better luck with it staying if glued to the top, it'll still light by the several milliseconds of exposure to lift flame and hot gasses before the shell actually leaves the mortar, but not be torn off by taking the brunt of the lift. If you have issues with it taking fire (shouldn't with Tigertail) you can always prime it with a slurry and dip it in fine grained black powder or stick some strands of Blackmatch to it. Either way, it was a good effect and a good looking shell!.

Was that your first shell? When you say canister, do you mean traditional cylinder shell built with turns of Kraft paper, and string, or an actual pre-made chipboard canister? Impressive if that was your first!

i have glued them on top at times, and youre correct, they generally light well. no, this wasnt my first, ive been making them periodically for about two years now. i roll the canisters from a big roll of kraft paper. that particular shell had no string spiking, just a few extra layers of gummed kraft tape.

It looked quite nice for such a small shell. Time to step up to a 3 inch shell and add the spiking. :D

thanks greginca. i have some 3 hemis and a few hdpe launch tubes. i was thinking of trying a couple for memorial day, but july 4 is probably more realistic. .

thanks greginca. i have some 3 hemis and a few hdpe launch tubes. i was thinking of trying a couple for memorial day, but july 4 is probably more realistic. .

Try a 3" Italian cannister. Fulcanelli is the go to reference for all shells Italian. I like round shells but a good cannister the same diameter simply carries more composition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry, the first one was an accidental repost. the second one was shot this evening, green veline stars, kp burst, 1 1/2 paper canister taped with fiber reinforced kraft tape, no other spiking. thoughts/comments?

1 1/2 inch,

Those are fine shells. It seems that there is room for a harder break and more, smaller stars, but that is a matter of preference. Happy shooting!

i think youre correct. those stars were too big for that size shell. a three incher full of those would probably look better.

Still looked pretty decent. I like smaller stars for smaller shells to make the bursts look fuller. You can also probably dial in the burst by experimenting with other spiking and/or pasting techniques. I'm a fan of 1mm hemp twine and real pasted kraft paper for most shells. There's a bunch of ways to do things. Not everything is created equal, but if it works it works.

Other bursts may also be helpful to look into. KP is known to be sort of temperamental in terms of getting the right level of reinforcement.