APC Forum

Ammonium Perchlorate

nordicwolf

I have a bag of AP 90 micron from one of the suppliers plus another bag from someone who exited the hobby. Both of them now have clumps of AP.

Is it safe to ball mill the AP for a brief time to get rid of the clumps? Will it be useful in comps that require 90 micron mesh size?

Interestingly the 400 micron AP has not clumped. Thank you.

I have a bag of AP 90 micron from one of the suppliers plus another bag from someone who exited the hobby. Both of them now have clumps of AP.

Is it safe to ball mill the AP for a brief time to get rid of the clumps? Will it be useful in comps that require 90 micron mesh size?

Interestingly the 400 micron AP has not clumped. Thank you.

A safer option would be to run it through a fine sieve. Be sure it is a stainless steel screen (brass or copper is destroyed by ammonium perchlorate and atmospheric moisture).

Place two sheets of paper on a flat work surface and then place the framed screen on top of the paper, screen side up. Now, gently rub or grate the clumped oxidizer through the screen.

Many oxidizers that tend to clump can be returned to powder by this method. Good luck.

WSM B)

It's possible to granulate lumps by using a grater intended for cheese (buy your own!) the pyramidal style offers several product sizes. Also granulates fingers.

I like the idea of using a grater or mesh screen to break up the clumps. I have a 100 mesh bucket screen and a 50 mesh bucket screen. I will try those to break up the AP 90. Thank you.

Ammonium perchlorate forms a more shock sensitive coordination compound with copper metal, just like ammonium nitrate does, and its thermal decomposition is also catalyzed by zinc dust and probably by some other metals. So it's best to make sure that the balls and the inner surface of the mill are not made of any metal that causes an explosion risk when present as a contaminant in NH4ClO4, and that no such metals have been grinded with the same mill before using it for producing powdered NH4ClO4.

• 3 months later...
Hello, I have a 10lb bag of Ap fuel 400 micron , new to this . Im about to buy a ball mill, just wanted to make sure If anyone here has milled it down to 90 micron ?