APC Forum

Another Precision Time Fuse Cutter

cmjlab

I finally finished my plagiarized version of a TF cutter, that I figured I'd share too.

I purchased a Pyrocreations anvilcutter and TF measurer, but it wasn't really accurate to the scale I needed and was awkward to hold and use precisely. So I cannibalized that part to use for this.

Anyway, I bought a 6" x 6" x 1" piece of Delrin for ~$10.00 for the base. I bought a piece of Al angle from Lowes for ~$13.00. I just used a mitre saw with a wood finishing blade to cut both the Delrin and Al pieces to size. Slapped it together with sheet metal screws, and 2 1/4" bolts for the razor clamp.

I ended with the utility razor because the thinner window scraper blades were too flimsy and flexed no matter how hard I tried, causing the TF to be slightly angled instead of square.

post-23234-0-93527200-1681148045_thumb.jpg

post-23234-0-53871100-1681148069_thumb.jpg

post-23234-0-55671800-1681148105_thumb.jpg

It amazes me the “length” you guys go to time things.

All I have ever used is paper wrapped visco.

But..that is impressive.

The last shell I made had timings cut at 0.03", 0.05" and 0.07" for the three different times rings of reports. Those shortest fuses are barely longer than the tube is thick!

• 2 weeks later...
Please share if you can! I've looked at buying a paper cutter (guillotine style) but they are crazy expensive, and not long enough for my rolls of Virgin Kraft anyway. I've thought of trying to buy a long bar, like a lawn mower blade and flattening it, then sharpening it to make a similar paper cutter. I've got no clue on how it would work though.

There are a number of roller cutter guilotines but they get expensive above 24 inches. Search "Rotatrim", home office sized trimmers are a fair price but big professional cutters cost MORE.

A rotary cutter is the gold standard for cutting paper for things like cylinder shells where you need relatively few, but long sheets. A friend has one in his shop and it's glorious. That said, I've utilized a carpenter's square and a utility knife for most of my time building fireworks.

That said, guillotine cutters are really useful for things that require shorter strips in higher quantities. Applications like hand pasted ball shells, insert shells, hand rolled quickmatch tubes, spolette nosings, etc.

That's a really nice fuse cutter by the way, to make this post not entirely off-topic.

Appreciate all the input. I'll check out the rotary cutters then per Arthur / Mumbles suggestions.