APC Forum

Simple header or flash report

nordicwolf

I am feeling pretty good about my 3/4" ID motors now, so I am about ready to try a header. Flash is simple so I'll probably start with that.

Plan would be to binary mix equal weight dark aluminum with K-perc, cover, and shake to mix. I would not plan to add a header for this unless you think I should. I am just planning to put the flash mix right over the end of the delay. I have some motors with a clay plug and pass fire, and I have some with just the solid delay increment and no clay - would put the mix over that.

Questions:

- what sort of plug should I use? Is a simple paper or cardboard plug good enough? Will I need more compression?

- is a clay plug and passfire recommended? Or can I just put the flash mix right after the last pressed delay increment?

Eventually I will get some 1"ID tubes (1x2.5x1/8) and slide those over the outside of the motor and fill that with flash, but I want to be 200% sure of my motors before trying that.

Another variation - no flash header, just a motor:

If I wanted to break the stick in flight, so that the stick+motor does not come down like a lawn-dart, can I drill a hole in my square stick, put some flash in it, and run blackmatch from a passfire into the stick? How would I "close off" the hole so the fuse and powder don't fall out?

My sticks are 1/4" diameter, so maybe too small for that idea to work. Thanks.

I think your using the word "shake" in reference to the handling of flash might be dissuading people from answering your question, just a wild guess. Honestly, why not just make some simple headers with black powder burst & a few stars?

As far as the anti-lawn dart thing, I'd point you in the direction of researching Ned Gorski's stick-buster method.

There is no way to fire a rocket if you haven't a place for it to land, your first few need to be fired out in the wilds.

An easy header would be some slow, coarse BP! Most people have made really BAD powder before they discovered how to use the right ingredients and method! Something that just shows glowing grains to prove successful flight and burst timing would be a perfect starting point. A whole gram of 70/30 flash is too much to use if you are still testing the launch and delay system.

Maybe look into one of the less energetic nitrate flash mixes.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I realize that 'shake' was not the best term to use for gently incorporating the ingredients.

I am glad I asked - I would not have thought to use only coarse BP for a simple header. That is all I am after - some evidence I am getting the timing down. I have a good slow base that I use for fountains - I will try that but will have to add some binder and granulate it (maybe 2-3% dextrin and granulate it through an 8- or 12-mesh screen?) And Arthur is right - I also made some poor performing powder along the way that I can put to good use for this.

ps: as an aside, are there good formulas for a bright "flash" or bright light / flame but without the report?

Most of the nitrate flashes are quieter than perc flash. There will be recipes in Lancaster and lots of other books.

Many of the charcoal star formulae are variant BP. Flash headers will fire! They will fire at the wrong time if the passfire and delay are wrong. Having a flash go off too low may upset friends or neighbours.

I know this won't be popular, as I've seen responses to discussions about flash - but I'm going to throw it out there anyway... but -

**Safety First**

- I agree that you shouldn't fire rockets until you are in an area with enough space to avoid injury or damage, at any point along any possible trajectory it may take.

- I agree that flash is inherently dangerous, and the most dangerous material we use in pyro.

- You should not add a header if you aren't sure of your rockets (B.P., Flash, or Stars).

Onto Controversial Input! :-)

- Nordic is "feeling good" about his 1# motors. To me this implies he has tested and is ready to move to the next step. (I.e. he isn't firing a 1/2 lb salute on his first 5/16" bottle rocket, with no regards for safety or planning).

- Nordic did some research on flash, ad decided to opt for the "safer" binary method. To me, this is a good example of wanting to take the responsible approach vs. going full bore with a strobe rocket, and 1 lb salute in a residential area, which I've seen posted on YouTube and shared within pyro forums - he was rightfully flamed, post-haste).

- Rocket Header: To me, in terms of safeEST to least safe test headers, I'd rather have a granulated B.P. first (good idea Arthur), then a small report (maybe Slow Flash - good suggestion Arthur), then the flamin fire balls which start fires when they go off close to the ground (and they spread a greater distance than a small report).

- *Edit* Binary Method: The term "shake" doesn't seem unsafe to me, this method requires you to leave 1/4 to 1/3 of the case empty to allow better mixing during handling. People also make binary reports, slap them on a WASP for wrapping, and tumble them around rapidly to paper tape wrap them without issue. People then take them, place them in a mortar where they experience a significant "kick" from the lift powder (and fire) without issue / or place them in a shell to be exposed to violent force, heat/flames during a break, without issue. So to me, the term "shake" does not imply lack of safety consideration.

- Stick Busters: I may have misunderstood, but I took the question to be a matter of responsible pyro practices, not a plan to fire them in a unsafe location where a bystander could be hurt, or property damaged. You never know who may randomly be in the area when they aren't supposed to be, so why not play it safe and limit risk where we need not take any (unnecessary risk being any time there is risk, but little or no benefit, such as falling debris).

- Last point, if one is new to the hobby they will inevitably want to know more about flash. Yes, someone with zero experience ought not to mess with it. For those who have been here at least a little while, I would think a review if their posts could demonstrate whether or not they have regard for personal safety, safety of others/property, and some demonstrated experience. I would assume that it would be best to help point them in the right direction/method, and correct them in areas with suggested alternatives, would be the most constructive form of help for the latter type of person (not discourage it altogether). Or one could ask questions to determine that person's intent, experience, and regard for the unspoken pyro rules (don't do dumb things that brings negative attention/scrutiny) then decide whether to help.

**Context - I am not an expert in rockets, nor do I have tens of years of pyro under my belt. I much prefer cylinder shells, but do make rockets ranging from B.P. to whistle / strobe, all with reports (no shells / star bags). I'm just a pyro lover, and enjoys sharing / learning on this site and others.

Rant complete, onto useful input!

@Nordic: I agree with the information above, Ned Gorski has good info on "stick buster" process, which also serves as a sort of report for smaller rockets. Your thoughts on using a second form of Passfire with a slightly longer timing than the header is very close - Ned uses time fuse. But there are important details which he outlines that you'd need to read about.

I also would say that if you want to use a quick / efficient method of testing the timing of your rocket, B.P. is probably the safest. Slow Flash could work well too, if properly contained, but then it's is a "report/salute" at which point can still hurt you plenty bad, so as always safety and understanding are key! I don't think binary slow flash would work well, or maybe at all, due to the higher ignition temp, and to overcome that, the sulfur has to be intimately mixed (i.e. screened) - at which point you are back to working with finished flash.

Sorry for the long response.

Edited by cmjlab

What is "suitable" for your purpose depends on the space that you have. Given a site with nothing for a few miles all round and no fire risk, then do some tests and learn from them. If there is a glasshouse 30 feet away you are running risks that you don't need.

What is "suitable" for your purpose depends on the space that you have. Given a site with nothing for a few miles all round and no fire risk, then do some tests and learn from them. If there is a glasshouse 30 feet away you are running risks that you don't need.

Agreed!

Edited by cmjlab