APC Forum

Monacapa prime

utmustang05

I just started making Veline stars and was told that Monacapa prime works well with them. My question is can I use Irion oxide (II) red in place of Iron Oxide (II) black?

Thank you, I'm going to make a small batch this week end and test it. I never really understood what the difference is between the red and black irion oxide other then the color.

I don't know the deeper answer to your question, but my understanding is that in a priming context, the iron melts & the molten material helps to then light the star. I've only made monacapa with the red (Fe2O3) & I'm very happy with it- I'd say nearly 100% ignition on my various parlon/acetone bound stars- but I suppose it's possible the black would be even better somehow.

According to JOPETE (person who posted Spanish star formulas, and the monocopa prime), you can use Red Iron Oxide with close to, or equal effectiveness of the prime.

As to the effect, according to JOPETES, the intent was very similar to the description provided above but Guernica.

You can search JOPETES here in the forum and find the threads that contain all the original conversations, they are very informative IMHO. The PDFs are also still there last I checked.

Thank you all who answered my questions it was a great help. Now I have a much better understanding of the role iron oxide plays in a prime. I have been building and flying rockets (mostly scale models of existing rockets not firework rockets) for 26 years and started making my own motors for

20 years. A fellow in our rocket club got me started in fireworks about the same time as I started building my own rocket motors and the majority of those years were spent making fountains and shells using BP based stars and I have only started delving into color stars over the last 3 years or so, so I have allot to learn but having people like yourselves willing to help makes this journey much easier