APC Forum

Nitrate / Mg / PVC stars

Powderman

It may be easier and less messy to bake before milling. But if it is not used or moisture-proof storaged afterwards it would be perhaps unnecessary. I am not sure how big of an impact moisture in charcoal has when ballmilling, it may or may not be a benefit to have certain moisture content... But too much might cause problems I think.

If you ever have clumping in your mill when making BP it's not because the milling is 'finished' like some have incorrectly stated. It's because your chems are holding some moisture. Usually charcoal.

If you ever have clumping in your mill when making BP it's not because the milling is 'finished' like some have incorrectly stated. It's because your chems are holding some moisture. Usually charcoal.

Yes ballmilling BP definitely calls for dry ingredients. Milling just charcoal may be more forgiving. My ball mill is not finished yet, at the moment I am using "shaking ball mill" for small charcoal batches. Finely milled charcoal seems to be the most important and hard to make ingredient for fast non ball milled BP. Charcoal is too light for blender to make fine powder and mortar and pestle feels so inefficient with it.

It seems that my priming is working better, last batch of lift with 75% KNO3 surprised me with its power, with the same amount the stars were shooting to sky and the camera recorded just a bright line through the frame, but all the stars did light. To test some for color I had to cut the lift amount to half.

I've always thought of it as - if you're ball milling charcoal only, it may be more efficient to dry it afterwards, that way it dries faster and more completely since it's harder to dry completely when individual pieces are still large in size.

I don't really consider the weight concern until after it's milled and I'm ready to make B.P. or stars. My 2¢.

Nordicwolf mentioned his charcoal is made from pet bedding, so no big chunks, and I suppose that big chunks are crushed first before going to ball mill.

Glad you worked out the prime, if you have something that works reliably then you've figured out a key aspect - many things work, stick with what works for you.