APC Forum

Rocket Motor Storage?

bcleven1

Anyone have any good practices for long term storage of BP rocket motors. I would like to make rocket motors in the winter months and add headings to them in the end of June for use on the 4th. Just have not seen a whole lot on the subject. I have capability to climate control motors. I make 1# BP motors and head them with report, 3" shell, timed reports

I would think just layer them in a Tupperware container with a few desiccant packs- in a cool dry area. Prolly last longer than you will. Well, longer than *I* will anyway :D

• Like 1

I don't look at rockets the way most folks do, but reliability is key for me. I mostly make nozzleless rockets, but I also make 'standard' BP (nozzled) rockets.

In my opinion, the thing that causes CATOs in rockets that have been stored is change. Keeping rockets dry is good as long as they were dry in the first place. If the tubes, nozzle mix, and propellant were stored in a damp environment and then the finished motors are stored with dessicant packs after assembly, there will be significant change, which could lead to CATO.

I like to use tubes that are stored indoors. If the propellant is granulated with 2% wax dissolved in naphtha, it helps keep motors in storage from picking up moisture. I have stored nozzleless motors made this way for 5 years without CATO.

I like to use tubes that are coated with a thin layer of wax inside, no matter what kind of rocket I make. This prevents the tube from shortening during pressing, so it has no 'springback', which could lead to cracks in the grain and CATO.

I like to moisten the propellant for 'standard' BP nozzled rockets with 3% water, well screened in. I use the nozzle mix dry. The use of the water gives excellent consolidation, which helps prevent changes in storage. Almost all the moisture stays in the motor and (I believe) confers stability. The moisture also allows for less pressure to be used in the build. In my view, using the least force needed to get the job done gives the least chance of CATO.

Not to be contrary, but I've never used a dessicant pack.

Me either. Not for rockets. I’m new to that and never had a motor over a week old. I DO use them for jerky tho. Rockets, jerky...they go together, no? :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't look at rockets the way most folks do, but reliability is key for me. I mostly make nozzleless rockets, but I also make 'standard' BP (nozzled) rockets.

In my opinion, the thing that causes CATOs in rockets that have been stored is change. Keeping rockets dry is good as long as they were dry in the first place. If the tubes, nozzle mix, and propellant were stored in a damp environment and then the finished motors are stored with dessicant packs after assembly, there will be significant change, which could lead to CATO.

I like to use tubes that are stored indoors. If the propellant is granulated with 2% wax dissolved in naphtha, it helps keep motors in storage from picking up moisture. I have stored nozzleless motors made this way for 5 years without CATO.

I like to use tubes that are coated with a thin layer of wax inside, no matter what kind of rocket I make. This prevents the tube from shortening during pressing, so it has no 'springback', which could lead to cracks in the grain and CATO.

I like to moisten the propellant for 'standard' BP nozzled rockets with 3% water, well screened in. I use the nozzle mix dry. The use of the water gives excellent consolidation, which helps prevent changes in storage. Almost all the moisture stays in the motor and (I believe) confers stability. The moisture also allows for less pressure to be used in the build. In my view, using the least force needed to get the job done gives the least chance of CATO.

I have never dampened BP when making motors but I believe you are correct as far as keeping them in the same kind of atmosphere that they were built in. Tempiture plays the same role that humidity does. I live in Utah so for the most part there is little humidity. For a while I was having CATO issues and then realized I was making the motors in my shop at 68 degrees and taking the motors out to the field that was 40 to 50 degrees so I tried making a couple at the outdoor ambient tempiture and had no problems. But by and far I had most of my issues with getting the nozzle the right size. I primarily make rocket motors to use in my model and high power rockets which needs to have a nozzle. At least in my experience.