APC Forum

Nozzle-less End Burner?

nordicwolf

While browsing recipes at fireworks cookbook, I found an endburner formula (https://www.fireworkscookbook.com/firework-recipe/meal-powered-end-burner/) that had the following comment:

"Using a nozzle-less (end-burning) approach compress 10g per load (1 TBS volumetrically) to 300 PSI [Remember this is what my gauge is reading, in reality the loading pressure is 2133 lbs. of force at the rammer head]."

Is that correct? Can you make a nozzleless end burner? I was under the impression that an end-burner had a clay nozzle followed by fairly hot BP mix.

Thank you

I would think that a nozzle-less end burner would require the fuel grain to have a core.

Well my above statement doesn't make any sense. I haven't been on this forum for a while, which is my excuse :)

If it has a core, then technically it's not an end burner. Sorry.

Edited by stix
  • Like 1

My understanding is that end burning rockets use very fast fuel while core burners use less energetic fuels. Lancaster's book lists several rocket fuels for different purposes with some being pure meal powder to others being meal plus various proportions of fast and slow charcoals to get bushy tails. Again every mix seemed to need tweaking for the basic bore of the tube and it's strength

But a "Nozzle-less End Burner"? I think you would require ultra-energetic fuels for that to work.

This was my nozzleless endburner from 4 years ago. They do exist.

• Like 2