APC Forum

Extrudable fuses

Inserttext12

I found this extrudable fuse composition in an old science book, and it sounds ibcredibly fascinating. But I'm honestly trying to figure out if this has any tangible benifits over a regular fuse. I'm waiting on some carnauba wax to test it out.

-Strontium Nitrate 70.92

-Potassium Chlorate 9.46

-Sulfur 8.94

-Sawdust 2.36

-Paraffin Wax 4.73

-Carnauba Wax 2.10

-Petrolatum

-Hemp fibers 0.46

Edited by Inserttext12

Looks almost like a flare composition. I'm not sure how you'd use it that couldn't be done with Black match or KCLO4 match

I would be cautious of any composition that suggests mixing potassium chlorate and sulfur together. It's not the death sentence that some may make it out to be, but be careful. It will increase the sensitivity of the composition.

Nice to see you back and active Mumbles, I was nervous you were being pulled away like Kyle / Passfire! I've learned a lot from reading through old posts of yours. Much appreciated!

Charles

Life has been getting in the way quite a bit lately. I'm going to try to make an effort to be around more. Maybe not necessarily posting more, but at least present.

Looks almost like a flare composition. I'm not sure how you'd use it that couldn't be done with Black match or KCLO4 match

Exactly my thinking, am I going to try it? Of course, will it replace my black match? Most definitely not. Also thank you Mumbles, I'm aware of the increased sensitivity when those two chemicals are combined (one of the compositions I'm messing around with it actually relies on that sensitivity in order to work) but thank you for the safety reminder.