7 replies to this topic

#1 passgas

passgas

Playing with fire

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 08:30 PM

If I was to use a 10 parts charcoal with 15 parts sulfur will it produce more smoke than the 15 parts charcoal, 10 parts sulfur BP? Blank loads for a cannon. Another thing. What would happen with a blank load of green meal BP? Slower burning? More smoke or fire?

• chuckufarley likes this

#2 pyrokid

pyrokid

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Pyro, soccer, guitar.

Posted 25 November 2022 - 10:39 AM

To the first question, I would expect more smoke. Your proposed formula both (a) moves away from the stoichiometric "ideal" ratio of black powder constituents and (b ) increases the proportion of sulfur to KNO3. I would expect (a) to slow down the burning and (b ) to increase the amount of solid potassium sulfide in the smoke cloud.

To the second question, I would expect more smoke and a larger fireball. The green meal should burn slower than the standard cannon powder, giving a more visible muzzle flash and more smoke from less efficient burning.

Edited by pyrokid, 25 November 2022 - 10:40 AM.

#3 passgas

passgas

Playing with fire

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 07:04 PM

I think for the sake of using what I have on hand I will do a 4 0z of riced bp with 4 oz of milled green meal. I will

report what happens.

#4 cmjlab

cmjlab

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:28 PM

I would think the green meal would be more of a slow rolling fireball with not much of a bang.... But then again I don't have a cannon!

Charles

#5 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 26 November 2022 - 11:26 PM

Shit... yer using 8 OZ of powder and ain’t got enough smoke or fire? What you shooting-  a 16” off the Missouri? :D

Edited by Richtee, 26 November 2022 - 11:26 PM.

• VikingPyrotechnics likes this
I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#6 passgas

passgas

Playing with fire

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:25 PM

Shit... yer using 8 OZ of powder and ain’t got enough smoke or fire? What you shooting-  a 16” off the Missouri? :D

No . Eight ounces is one of the lighter loads being shot in the group I run with. They normally push 12 to 14 ounces. .For my cannon since it is

a  mountain howitzer  I run with 8 ounces and use 10 to grab more attention. 

#7 passgas

passgas

Playing with fire

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:30 PM

I tried the 4 oz meal plus 4 oz of riced powder and it was not worth wasting the powder for the bang. I did get a good bang going 8 oz bp with 4 oz carbon stars. 

It will be the night time load for now own. Also a 12 oz load of bp using lump charcoal did give it a good flame Maybe due to load size though.

#8 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted Yesterday, 03:03 AM

If you want attention, get ahold of some 8-ish mesh sponge Ti. Just remember it’s like flaming birdshot tho :D Guaranteed to light up the night. And a gloomy day too.

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users