APC Forum

Chimney fire extinguisher flare

Uarbor

I have a wood burner and I am always concerned with chimney fires. They make a product which is just like a road flare that you can light and toss in the fire and supposedly the sulfur somehow consumes all the oxygen extinguishing a chimney fire in 22 seconds. I was wondering if just throwing in a cup of loose sulfur would be the same or better? Or would it be a disaster? I'm just interested in anyone's opinion I will probably be purchasing the flares but they are like $30 a piece. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

I would be mildly skeptical about the performance of such a product. The problem with chimney fires is that unless there is a foolproof way to shut off oxygen supply (and there usually isn't), then the fire tends to reignite from residual heat. A powder based fire extinguisher emptied into the chimney can do an effective job of putting out the fire as it covers the surfaces and forms a blocking layer. It has helped in my personal experience, but if the heat is high then there really is not much more to do than to let it burn out and pray. Powder fire extinguisher makes a terrible mess, but better than losing the house.

I definitely would revert from tossing sulfur into the fire.....please use common sense, sulfur will not help, but in turn create noxious gas and feed the fire even more.

In my home area chimneys are built of brick and hold heat. The suggested way of extinguishing a chimney fire is to cover the fire in the fireplace with lots of wet newspaper -which is supposed to carry water vapour up the chimney and extinguish the fire. The best action is to regularly clean the chimney so that there is nothing in there to burn.

Wherever you live there will be something for cleaning chimneys. This could be a fir tree on a rope or a (Mary Poppins style) chimney sweep brush on canes.

The best action is to regularly clean the chimney so that there is nothing in there to burn.

That's it.

Where I live it's mandatory to have your chimney cleaned by a professional sweeper, or your simply not allowed to operate it. If designed properly and not being fed with stuff that should not be burned there anyway - there is no risk of fire.

But the sulfur smoke idea is somehow interesting ;)

There is (or has been) a device to extinguish fires "using BP" BUT it had little BP and a lot of ABC extinguisher powder. Throw it into a fire, the BP explodes, and the ABC powder goes everywhere and puts the fire out. Totally UNsuited for use in a confined space like a stove or chimney - could eject iron shrapnel and flames

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbDTbb1M1gA

• 1 month later...
Some say, you throw a glass of bleach in the fire, and the chlorine takes the place of oxygen. Never tested but makes sense

• 2 weeks later...
I have decided that since my chimney is so short anyway it's easy for me to just clean it after every cord of wood. I did simply purchase the chemical extinguisher just in case there is some kind of fire when I am not home and my wife could just toss it in there and shut down the air.

I think about the Chimney fires that make the news and/or the websites warning people to maintain them and it looks like those are mostly homes with "real" (brick) fireplaces built correctly or actual wood burning furnaces / stoves used every day. Would someone even notice in time to toss one of those fire extinguishers in?

Then there are the "kit" fireplaces (like in my home) that look like a "real" fireplace but are just sheet metal box, with a crappy sheet metal flute, and a faux chimney with sheet metal pipe. Most of these fireplaces are never cleaned (though they build up slowly from use to create that cozy fireplace feel), and most don't know how to maintain (or that need to be inspected annually to make sure no leaks have formed in the cheap sheet metal that will then cause a fire you will never see till it's too late)!

Sorry done with the rant!

My question is: Do you think you would notice a fire with enough time for to toss the extinguisher in? And has anyone here ever tried one? I will grab one anyways, but I do wonder about it. I also cleany chimney annually though it's a "faux" fireplace.

I think about the Chimney fires that make the news and/or the websites warning people to maintain them and it looks like those are mostly homes with "real" (brick) fireplaces built correctly or actual wood burning furnaces / stoves used every day. Would someone even notice in time to toss one of those fire extinguishers in?

Then there are the "kit" fireplaces (like in my home) that look like a "real" fireplace but are just sheet metal box, with a crappy sheet metal flute, and a faux chimney with sheet metal pipe. Most of these fireplaces are never cleaned (though they build up slowly from use to create that cozy fireplace feel), and most don't know how to maintain (or that need to be inspected annually to make sure no leaks have formed in the cheap sheet metal that will then cause a fire you will never see till it's too late)!

Sorry done with the rant!

My question is: Do you think you would notice a fire with enough time for to toss the extinguisher in? And has anyone here ever tried one? I will grab one anyways, but I do wonder about it. I also cleany chimney annually though it's a "faux" fireplace.

well I certainly couldn't live with myself if I had a chimney fire and was not prepared. I live in a manufactured home with a homemade chimney that I made myself and a wood burner I got for a hundred bucks. The entire chimney is black pipe inside and out I made my own homemade triple wall to penetrate the wall. Since I don't have insulated pipe outside I have to clean it out every cord of wood I burn. My roof is metal and my siding is metal I worry about the barn next to the house catching Sparks from a chimney fire. I hear a chimney fire makes quite a noise like a freight train. This summer I will have the money for a proper stainless triple wall chimney. I just have to get through this winter.

I installed a wood stove and ran the double-walled chimney up through the attic. I was worried about a chimney fire. A friend that also heated with wood said to always have a bucket of water beside the wood stove. In the event of a chimney fire, throw it in and shut the door. The steam will kill the fire. I had a chimney fire. It makes a roaring sound. I used the water. It killed the fire. There was no damage to the wood stove.

• Like 1

I installed a wood stove and ran the double-walled chimney up through the attic. I was worried about a chimney fire. A friend that also heated with wood said to always have a bucket of water beside the wood stove. In the event of a chimney fire, throw it in and shut the door. The steam will kill the fire. I had a chimney fire. It makes a roaring sound. I used the water. It killed the fire. There was no damage to the wood stove.

I have actually heard throw a sopping wet towel in there to avoid damaging the fire brick. Either way you're going to be in a panic for sure Edited by Uarbor

Thanks, that makes sense that you would hear a difference. I can just imagine the Boise that must make as it sucks up more air, etc. The bucket of water actually is a really good isea too - so simple, yet effective. Easy day!

Charles

Edited by cmjlab

My grand parents -used to heating with solid fuel- always said that a wet newspaper put on the fire would extinguish a chimney fire, Just another way of getting water on the fire.

My grand parents -used to heating with solid fuel- always said that a wet newspaper put on the fire would extinguish a chimney fire, Just another way of getting water on the fire.

that's a good one. That way the cold water does not Shock the fire brick