APC Forum

Dipsomaniac

Anybody tried making these?

I used the store bought ones and they work really well to get rid of those pesky gophers. Is it cheaper to just buy these or make them?

Edited by Dipsomaniac

Depends on what they cost and how much your time is worth ;)

I once tried Weingart White (similar but slightly slower formula wit less charcoal) with an endburner rocket tool.

Even with a tight nozzle this one burned to slow.

Getting burnrate and nozzle right is the key imho, and that might take some experimentation to find the sweet spot. Depending on particle size, charcoal quality ect.

I think a nozzle is needed to cut the flames.

If you want to do it for your hobbys sake, go for it. For economical reasons, rather not...

PS:

Could you show us how these are set up, do they have a nozzle, and if, what's the diameter?

Edited by mabuse00

IF these emit significant smoke then the case form will be very important. For the exercise making them may be interesting, for the function buying them will be cheaper and more effective. .Keeping a moderate supply of a commercial article will cause much less concern.

IF these emit significant smoke then the case form will be very important. For the exercise making them may be interesting, for the function buying them will be cheaper and more effective. .Keeping a moderate supply of a commercial article will cause much less concern.

Ah, plausible deniability! A wise precaution.

Don't forget particle size and the degree of compaction of the composition. If the commercial items become unavailable in the future, having the experience (muscle memory) and knowledge of their manufacture will be priceless.

Needs:

• casings
  • nozzle material
  • fuse (Visco)
  • potassium nitrate
  • sulfur
  • charcoal powder
  • tools or a drilling jig, at least
  • printed label (again, plausible deniability)

These items work, BUT; are you sure you're eliminating the problem or just chasing them off to be your neighbor's problem?

Things to consider... ;)

WSM B)

Anybody tried making these?

I used the store bought ones and they work really well to get rid of those pesky gophers. Is it cheaper to just buy these or make them?

There’s always this baby... :)