APC Forum

Interested in Pyro Book relating Coloured Flash Powder

Maltapyro

Good evening,

anyone has ever encountered pyro books containing and explaining coloured flaspowder formulas?

Edited by Maltapyro

Here’s some formulas...

Admin..if this is inappropriate please remove. Thanks.

Flasharc.pdf

Edited by Richtee
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that helps. Keep in mind that sulfur in flash compositions is extremely dangerous and not to be mixed. I noticed other formulas such as the green mix with KCLO4,AL and Baroum nitrate, seems that will make a whiter effect rather than green due to high contents of KCLO4 and Al. In my opinion it is low on colour donor.

Any experience with flash?

Not colored. I used to rely on basic stars and the like. The Veline system I used a bit when I was active.

Thanks, that helps. Keep in mind that sulfur in flash compositions is extremely dangerous and not to be mixed. I noticed other formulas such as the green mix with KCLO4,AL and Baroum nitrate, seems that will make a whiter effect rather than green due to high contents of KCLO4 and Al. In my opinion it is low on colour donor.

Any experience with flash?

Malta's probably right that addition of a chlorine donor (PVC, saran, parlon...) might be needed in addition to the chlorine in the perc to pull the green out of the barium in that formulation.

There's a somewhat related ammonium perchlorate/Al comp that others have enhanced with BaSO4 as catalyst/oxidizer for making ematches/rocket igniter that I've toyed around with that emits a faint green burst that could also probably be enhanced with a chlorine donor if that was your desired outcome.

Formulation is by Techingredients at

. Formulation discussion begins around 9" and testing around 26". Pretty energetic and works nicely for ematches, even with 200-micron ammonium perchlorate (90-micron would probably make a decent flash but burn to fast for reliable ignition and might crack a fuel grain...).

It's a "tamer" flash with practical utility. BaSO4 is a lot of fun for making these igniters, and other green devices and strobe pots, and is super cheap. Dry comp is largely water insoluble and not toxic (exact same stuff used as a contrast agent in barium enemas for GI tract imaging) but It is barium, so pyro fumes should be considered toxic.

Edited by SharkWhisperer

I'm using 400 mesh magnesium and parlon for fast burning colored compositions. And I don't use magnalium. In all kinds of colors the flash are super fast. Using the classic colored star compositions. It can be made in all kinds of colors, as flash are super fast, and in stars are excellent. In bengal fire the are more energetic than the magnalium versions. The parlon and 400 mesh magnesium are a excellent choice. If someone can buy or make 600 mesh Mg the color is even stronger there. The magnesium was coated with 5% linseed oil and dried. KClO4 blue, Ba(NO3)2 green, Sr(NO3)2 red, purple, are the most common. And perfect for colored rocket fuel.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The most successful colored reports I've ever seen were made in very small sizes. A friend years ago showed us small rockets (5/8" bore) with a multi break shell header (3 break), and both of the early breaks had variable color reports. The reports were about firecracker sized, but the colors were distinct and clearly seen.

I've tried larger sized color reports, and the greater the amount of flash, the more washed out the color seemed to be. At the time I wasn't aware of "black body radiation", which helps explain why "smaller is better" for color reports.

The colors my friend made were red, yellow and green. I talked to him once (over the phone) and suggested he could make orange reports by mixing 20% green flash with 80% red flash. He thanked me for the suggestion and hung up. Five minutes later he called back and said, "It worked!".

WSM B)

• Like 1