APC Forum

Lump Charcoal

nordicwolf

It has been posted in various threads that some use Lump Charcoal for their hardwood charcoal needs. I have seen the Humprey's brand mentioned specifically.

I took a look at my local Wal-mart and they carry 2 or three different brands (no Humphreys) in 8# and larger bags. One of the bags was torn, and the charcoal inside seemed too big to be useful in a ball mill.

What do those of you who use lump charcoal use to grind up the charcoal into usable size? Garbage disposal? Nutri-bullet type of blade mill? Something else?

Is the Humphreys brand finer? Or does it need to be ground up too?

Thank you.

I did a test batch using Walmart brand lump charcoal. I put a layer inside of a bucket and break it up with a maul.

Dump into ball mill and repeat till ball mill is full. I run bm for 1/2 hour and end up with baby powder consistency. When

I shift it if any parts are big I just recycle those parts back to ball mill.

I shoot blank loads out of cannon. Hardwood lump is waste for noise making. I plan on doing a night fire hoping it makes a good flame out the tube.

If not I will just grill with is left in the bag.

If not I will just grill with is left in the bag.

Only thing I use lump for ;) Well, wait..I ALSO use it to heat my retort for MAKING good charcoal :D

• 4 weeks later...
I cut the leg off of an old pair of jeans and closed one end with a large zip tie. Fill it up with lump charcoal give the other end a Twist or two and beat the bejesus out of it with a large homemade wooden mallet. Works fantastic and is easy to dump it into a coffee can or bucket. Plus it makes almost no mess. I developed the process for lump charcoal but now that's how I break up my homemade Willow charcoal. From there I put it through an old blender. I have used lump successfully for all types of gerbs and charcoal streamers. But now I save all that extra effort for my Willow charcoal. I actually use 80 mesh charcoal for everything that does not take Willow. So much less messy to work with then air float. And it's a lot easier to dry if it needs it Edited by Uarbor

Usually the best BP is made from the fluffiest, lowest density charcoal If your 15 parts of charcoal is bigger than your 75 parts of nitre that's a great start.

Usually the best BP is made from the fluffiest, lowest density charcoal If your 15 parts of charcoal is bigger than your 75 parts of nitre that's a great start.

I made some Paulownia charcoal. Was solidly over a cup volume. Prolly a cup and a half... If you looked at the stuff, you could see a puff from the energy imparted :D

Edited by Richtee