APC Forum

KNO3, 2 different products available, which is technically better?

MachineX

I have a local hydroponics store that sells 2 brand/formulations of KNO3, wondering which is technically better. Both are 50# and the same price.

My options are:

- Haifa Multi-K | Greenhouse Potassium Nitrate (13.5-0-46.2)

- Yara Krista K | Greenhouse Potassium Nitrate (13.7-0-46)

So far my only use is smoke bombs. I ordered my initial supply from Fireworks Cookbook, which was technical grade, but the shipping cost sucks.

Thanks,

B

I'm surprised nobody answered this yet, so I'll take a crack at it.

In my opinion, they both would both work excellent for any Pyrotechnic use that you could think of. I have seen both brands being milled and remarketed through common pyro suppliers.

I also believe there is no difference in "quality" between the two (Haifa Multi-K vs. Tara Krista K). They are both considered "Greenhouse Grade" or Agricultural Use, and may come with some dirt / debris / etc. Both have been used by many a pyro for all needs.

Lastly, if high purity is a major consideration (though they already are high enough IMO) you could easily make a 5 gallon pail of saturated solution with boiling water till no more dissolved, and by the time the water cooled off, enough purified crystals would fall out of solution to filter/dry/use, while waiting for the rest to fall out during evaporation. Once recrystallized, I'd imagine that the purity would be in par with "technical grade" KNO3.

On a side note - I wish there was a place I could walk in and buy a 50# bag of either one. I'd buy a few to save on shipping, ensure consistency in my supply, and ensure I had enough for a long while!

Charles

This is where someone with industrial supply / chemistry knowledge would be more helpful, but I believe the only difference from Greenhouse Grade to Technical Grade the latter does not contain any debris / dirt / contaminants. (Just guessing on this based on observation). The Greenhouse Grade is labelled with Nitrogen percentage because it's more convenient when agriculture are planning soil / crop nutrients and modifiers. Edited by cmjlab

Yara- Krista is excellent! I have been using it for ages and it performs without any issues. Not to say that the Haifa brand would do any worse, just I do not have any personal experience with it.

Thank you for the info.

My next steps will be to get into some sugar rockets, so I just wondered if the slight percentage differences would make any perceivable difference, sounds like it won't really.

It was mentioned that there might be some foreign material since it is greenhouse grade. Since this comes prilled, do the "contaminants" typically get incorporated into the prills, or just mixed in the bag during filling (i.e. environmental)? My guess is it likely something I don't really need to worry about...just wondering.

Any other quick/easy uses? Smoke is easy, rockets pretty much the same, beyond that are there any other simple/easy projects to start thinking about. So far I have been pretty stingy with materials since it was expensive due to shipping costs, but with a much bigger supply and no need to worry about amounts for the most part, other experiments would be easier to justify.

Thanks again,

B

Pot nitrate is made!! sometimes there is a risk of contamination but usually very slight. I've heard of rust particles at parts per million. If you want it purer than recrystalise it. BUT that's a lot of work for no pyro benefit.

For "contaminants" especially the prilled KNO3, I have only ever seen some black specs on a prill here and there ((barely noticeable). No it wasn't incorporated in the prill either.

I look forward to seeing your sugar rockets. I never really got into them, but I enjoy watching them for sure!

Charles

Thank you for the info.

My next steps will be to get into some sugar rockets, so I just wondered if the slight percentage differences would make any perceivable difference, sounds like it won't really.

It was mentioned that there might be some foreign material since it is greenhouse grade. Since this comes prilled, do the "contaminants" typically get incorporated into the prills, or just mixed in the bag during filling (i.e. environmental)? My guess is it likely something I don't really need to worry about...just wondering.

Any other quick/easy uses? Smoke is easy, rockets pretty much the same, beyond that are there any other simple/easy projects to start thinking about. So far I have been pretty stingy with materials since it was expensive due to shipping costs, but with a much bigger supply and no need to worry about amounts for the most part, other experiments would be easier to justify.

Thanks again,

B

Odd. In my own experience, the greenhouse grade usually comes as granulated material (as opposed to prilled). They both work but I recommend powdering it by whichever method you can, first.

Most use a ball mill with media to reduce either prilled or granulated material to powder. Often a "free flow agent" is used (I've used a little hydrophobic Cab-O-Sil [fumed silica] in the past) to keep things loose.

If much moisture is present, ball milling might result in a rock-hard mass in the mill (a hard ball of nitrate and media), instead of free flowing powder. In such cases, it's advisable to dry the (individual oxidizer, not mixed with fuel) material before milling. This may be done safely in thin layers on a cookie sheet in an oven set to low temperatures, say <200oF (~90oC) for an hour or two. Placing the material on parchment paper (on the cookie sheet) will aid in cleanup.

Good luck.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM