27 replies to this topic

#21 GoldenStars

GoldenStars

Smelt the smoke

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 11:27 PM

The decline in pyro hobbyist activity has several causes but the most obvious must be the fairly recent ban of good stuff such as percs in Europe.
The pandemic must have played a huge role too: I had almost no interest in fireworks for the last two winters when my season takes place. Also, let's not forget that many countries imposed bans for fireworks on the NYE.

China also imposed severe limitations on the exports, the result being that things like timefuse becoming very expensive or impossible to be found. The raw materials prices also increased drastically.

We will see if this improves or not. With the new generations dumbed down by social media apps and games, with the ever increasing negativity towards fireworks from the green heads with grass instead of brains, and the drones replacing fireworks the future doesn't look very promising unfortunately.

I totaly agree on all points. I also live in Europe. "When I was young" I just bought 2 bags of weed killer at the garden center which where based on 89% sodium chlorate. It has been banned long time ago. It was tough but recently bought bulk (25kg) potassium nitrate "but that is not normal". Using regular supply channels for consumers you can buy 250gr potassium nitrate for your aquarium and have to fill in a form with "purpose of intent" thing. I have bought the bag just with "old cash" and with some talking, yes because I also have a vegetable garden.

IMHO nowadays the new generation is getting "dumber" by "social" media, but that is just my opinion. People are just more consumers than actually doing or learning something. Curious people are rare, and all the banning doesn't make things easier. But the curious people will find or make their own way. Where I live they always talk about innovation and such, but sometimes I get sick of that word because it is mostly driven by money (to create more).

I try to keep myself low-profile, and safe with pyrotechnics. But it is not easy to do, but hey why should things be easy when you can do the hard things?

#22 fizeau

fizeau

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:pyro experiments

Posted 18 September 2022 - 04:38 AM

As a European you have to fly “under the radar”. Young people's interest in the hobby hasn't really waned. They tinker in secret. But we older Pyros must be an extremely small group. all the stress with the whole game of hide-and-seek... we're still there, but very quietly. Apart from such exceptional people like Viking. So I'm glad this forum still exists. Helps me indirectly with the whole "procurement crime". If you don't make everything yourself... :D  That now accounts for the lion's share of my pyroactivity. We won't be finished until they ban fireworks altogether. There are many efforts in progress here, but I still have hope that it will not come to that!
I can't contribute anything helpful myself. I really enjoy my emergency pyrotechnics, but they shake their heads in the US. It took me a really long time to understand the difference. I was pretty stupid! :wacko:

#23 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 18 September 2022 - 06:59 AM

I can't contribute anything helpful myself. I really enjoy my emergency pyrotechnics, but they shake their heads in the US. It took me a really long time to understand the difference. I was pretty stupid! :wacko:

I’m quite impressed by the lengths you Euros must go to to enjoy the hobby, actually.

Carry on, soldiers! :)

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#24 mx5kevin

mx5kevin

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Homemade chemicals, Flash powder, Firecrackers,

Posted 20 September 2022 - 05:45 AM

This hobby can be practiced at a young 12 age to endear it to the masses outdoors. And with banging things like firecrackers. Before the 90s, no fireworks were allowed in my country. One kind of thing you could get in illegal way in the street sellers without age limitation this was the 100-piece firecracker. It was used by all the boys from the age of 12. Homemade production can also be loved with simple and strong things like firecrackers. We need detailed, professional descriptions so that anyone who gets into it can do it as quickly and easily as possible. On the Internet, you can arouse the interest of masses if they see what it is like (Videos, GIF animations, and definitely lots of pictures for the blogs). You can't make people fall in love with this hobby by writing, you have to see it. Good and meaningful content should be preserved for posterity. Videos, documents, blogs, websites. There's a certain things when they at your peak, than they will fall back. In such cases, quality content must be preserved so that it does not disappear. Currently online amateur pyro is going downhill. What the users is not preserved content from the Internet for posterity will disappear. Save what is useful for us from the Internet and distribute it on other platforms. There was also a lot of junk content that was of no use to anyone, and this is the majority in the internet. As for communities, they now need content to function (video,  blogs, sales, images and advanced users). The internet part is about how anyone who is interested should be taught how to do it as transparent a way as possible. Those who were able to demonstrate this at a high level we should preserve their content for posterity. This content will not be created continuously and in stable quality. We are currently going down, and in the next five, ten years the publish your online pyro hobby will not be as popular as it used to be. The platforms that provide these settings are also catastrophic in terms of information technology. Anyone who wants to produce quality content and build a community faces serious technical obstacles. There will be far fewer of us who produce quality content about the theme in the next few years. It is not yet visible where the bottom of this is.

#25 mx5kevin

mx5kevin

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Homemade chemicals, Flash powder, Firecrackers,

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:08 AM

Those who fall in love with them at a very young age will become truly dedicated in this hobby. You can't fall in love like that when you're older. They need to get to firecrackers as young as possible. What a young person can do at home maximum a Armstrong's mixture from safety matches. Making quality, FP, BP and most of the easiest fireworks very hard. It takes a lot of time before anyone who takes the plunge can make it in really good quality. It takes a lot of momentum for someone to get start it to buy the tools and chemicals. As simple as possible with cheaper tools, fast way, small but extreme fireworks, straightforward exact tutorials, they are indispensable. In order for someone to fall in love with this hobby, one should start with a recipe that does not require buying anything and can be prepared by anyone in five minutes in perfect quality, and not  too childish but exciting. In one generation, these conditions may apply more than in the other. And the next generation will not necessarily do it better and more efficiently and more people do it. They will no longer have the quality content that users were able to produce in their heyday. At some point things will pick up again, but it won't be in the next five years, and then the APC forum may not even exist. Technically, it is not developing, the software are old, and this will mark the end.  Within 10 or 15 years, I don't see a chance for a pyro generation that is much more professional, more developed and with a much larger number of people than ours. In the next five years, this will all deteriorate. After 2015, the hobby went downhill and it hasn't reached to see where the bottom ends in today either. From 2005 to 2015, there was a continuous development. After 2015 the best content disappears from the internet: videos, blogs, websites, documents, and there is no development in any field, only continuous decline. It will depend on a very few determined people what will survive for the next generation. No one has taken over the baton from us to they continue what we have achieved. One of the obstacles lies in IT development.  What we can do seperately to keep the existing quality content alive.

• mabuse00 likes this

#26 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 20 September 2022 - 01:21 PM

It’s plain to see... as I said before “they” don’t like us. We wield scary explosives, scary black rifles, and vote for scary tweets :D

The do-gooders and Left will destroy it all eventually. But not in my lifetime. I think. :D

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#27 GoldenStars

GoldenStars

Smelt the smoke

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 04:50 AM

This phenomenon can be observed worldwide. There are only one active pyrotechnic forums left in the world and I am not exaggerating this is the APC Forum. The other two big one are dying  1. pyroforum.nl  2. pirotehnika-ruhelp.com. In my country, the Hungarian pyrotechnic community has been dead for years. But in the past was very active. The large pyrotechnic community was censored on Youtube. Nothing can be openly discussed on that site. Only childish things remained and allowed on that platform. And the biggest driving force was the videos on the internet. The other video sharing platforms only rarely have quality pyrotechnic content. And none of them work properly. There is no future in pyrotechnic community for platforms where it is not possible to bring people together worldwide on the basis of publications. People need to see it the users/publisher products how they working, what and how much it know the user/publisher. Video sharing (unlimited) with descriptions, and comments, file sharing, fully editable blogging, professional sites. Strong professional forum with open discussion (where personalization, deviation from topic, anything that is not pyro forbidden). Within this, the team should be filtered into a separate forum where only content owners can enter bloggers, video creators, who sharing files. In many countries, if someone can make a quality flash powder, black powder and a quality firecracker  is considered an expert. Most people cannot make flash powder, Black powder, simple quality firecracker, or a working rocket. The majority do everything in the worst quality. And these are the people who give advice on the forums. There's plenty more to come Moles whose purpose: disinformation, spamming topics and provocation to prevent people from sharing effective techniques and speaking freely, scaring people with fake things, trying chasing away the real experts from publication. This forum only works because it was able to gather experts. Without fully editable blog, video gallery, file sharing and collecting the world pyro hobbyist the page would be dead. Save and share any pyrotechnic content you find videos, blogs, files, web pages, because they are slowly disappearing from the internet. The big pyrotechnic file sharing platform Pyrobin are dead, the are no new bloggers, pyro sites, and new real pro publishers like Ned Gorski, Passfire and Skylighter team, Richard Nakka. And blogging, website creation, file and video sharing are not easy either in the internet.

I totaly agree the information is disolving because of factor time and interest/difficulty. I'm attempting to recollect all things I can find in a ebook i'm trying to write. Mirroring websites is also a good idea with httrack or https://github.com/h...hine-downloader

See my alpha ebook release https://github.com/x...ses/tag/alpha-1
If pyros are intressted to bundle forces and write this ebook, send me a PM.

Be safe,

GoldenStars

#28 mabuse00

mabuse00

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 04:33 AM

Those who fall in love with them at a very young age will become truly dedicated in this hobby. You can't fall in love like that when you're older. They need to get to firecrackers as young as possible

Words of wisdom.

That's why for example European class 1 pyrotechnics for kids are still important to fan the flames ;)

At some point things will pick up again, but it won't be in the next five years, and then the APC forum may not even exist. Technically, it is not developing, the software are old, and this will mark the end

I disagree. The software is old, yes, but it does what is necessary.
You can use TOR without Java script - show me a modern site where this is possible!

Also imho you do not need all those fancy playthings to exchange information.
The more gimmicks and gadgets you implement, the more potential attack points for state authorities may exist.
In fact, a 1990s style newsgroup is all we need.

The more modern internet things become, being anonymous becomes harder and harder.

I would really like to exchange videos though, but I haven't found a save way to do so...Might not be impossible but my motivation does not overcome the troubles ;)

See my alpha ebook release https://github.com/x...ses/tag/alpha-1
If pyros are intressted to bundle forces and write this ebook, send me a PM.

Does not work without java script, potentially unsafe...

Edited by mabuse00, 03 October 2022 - 06:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users