APC Forum

Drying box (not for pyro)

50AE

Hi folks,

It's about an indoors drying box for varnish impregnated coils for transformers. You see, my workplace is still where I live and I need to find a way to make it odorless as possible. I thought about getting some of these indoor growth chambers with active carbon filter. The varnish is I think alkyd based air drying type. It dissolves some types of plastics and glues, so I need to take this into consideration.

Well... vent it outside. A small fan and some (metal) dryer vent tube.

Edited by Richtee

Yes, it's probably the best idea. There's the kitchen chimney, I could install a T fitting for an additional pipe leading to the drying box.

Yes, it's probably the best idea. There's the kitchen chimney, I could install a T fitting for an additional pipe leading to the drying box.

I guess I don’t know what is vented by that chimney, but of course be aware of the flammable nature of the box’s fumes when cooking. You venting a wood fired stove or anything like that? That would be an issue.

I rarely cook, no problem taking this into consideration.

:D I cook quite a bit, so it popped into my head. ALSO..be aware of possible “backdraft” into the oven/stove. Give a sniff before you DO fire it up, just in case some fumes migrated that way. Outside wind COULD cause this.

I use the stove mainly for production purposes, including waxing coils. No more than 130 deg C :D

Re exhaust filtering: at one point I bought a box of activated carbon pellets, IIRC they were inexpensive; wondering about DIY exhaust filtering using such materials. Thinking of applying it to laser cutter exhaust, where you need to filter a lot of burnt wood, plastic, etc.

For any pyro use, better keep sparks out of it!

Edited by Scotty123

Charcoal is pretty good at removing odors and absorbing organics. I will caution that when actively absorbing organic solvent vapor vs. just deodorizing something, they will probably saturate faster than you think.