APC Forum

Daylight effects

Richtee

Soo, why not roll inserts with alum foil to catch the sunlight? Any history of using reflective properties in this regard?

Hmm maybe even those bright metallic mylar wrapping papers.

Altho..I guess that’s not too environmentally friendly. Prolly really piss off a groundskeeping crew :D

There’s the colored chalk/dye stuff too. And of course the lampere.

Maybe small colored smoke inserts... hmm...

I for one think a daylight show would be cool. And challenging.

Edited by Richtee

The traditional Poka shell offers many opportunities for daylight shells. With suitable design you can have flags, parachutes, "hot air balloons" etc inside quite moderate sized hemis.

I've certainly seen some shells containing a pagoda shaped hot air balloon. Effective in daytime but useless at night.

The traditional Poka shell offers many opportunities for daylight shells. With suitable design you can have flags, parachutes, "hot air balloons" etc inside quite moderate sized hemis.

I've certainly seen some shells containing a pagoda shaped hot air balloon. Effective in daytime but useless at night.

Never heard of them. Guess I’ll look that up :)

Mentioned in Shimizu. Similar to the parachutes and drogues deployed by model rocketry people.

A horsetail shell is one example of a night poka. the stars just limp out of a case in the sky. Likely a poka has very little pasting, weighs little and needs a lot of lift.They are best fired in the year of manufacture or the paper novelties tend to have difficulty opening.

• Like 1

I saw a rather impressive daylight show at pyro Fest a few years back. It was mostly colored smoke and the theme was red white and blue. I guess it's hard to say if it was really chalk dust or not. Some of the smoke streamers were definitely not chalk. I definitely would like to try this. Edited by Uarbor

Outside of the cleanup and environmental impacts, I believe the FAA gets pretty worked up about spreading reflective items throughout the air.

Outside of the cleanup and environmental impacts, I believe the FAA gets pretty worked up about spreading reflective items throughout the air.

Huh. Had not pondered that. But I mean below 1K foot? I guess you’d not wanna do that in a major airport area.

Edited by Richtee

OTOH chaff might be useful one day :D

• 2 weeks later...