APC Forum

Chlorine donors

Uarbor

So if dechlorane is a chlorine donor at 78% and I wish to replace it with parlon a chlorine donor at 68% does that mean I need to use 10% more parlon by weight to achieve the equivalent effect? Thanks in advance for any insight. Edited by Uarbor

So if dechlorane is a chlorine donor at 78% and I wish to replace it with parlon a chlorine donor at 68% does that mean I need to use 10% more parlon by weight to achieve the equivalent effect? Thanks in advance for any insight.

You need to also take into consideration other aspects such as comparative fuel value. Saturation: will your comp actually benefit from additional chlorine availability? Adverse effects: for example, Parlon's notorious for it's glowing slag that it leaves behind... Some love "saran" for it's high chlorination and clean burn. Important to remember that saran, parlon etc., refer to a group of many many potential chemical compounds of different molecular masses, chlorination degrees, and other qualities that might affect your outcomes. At a certain point, available chlorine ions are no longer the limiting factor in color generation.

All the comps in common use have been developed to a price and quality try your intended mix as a small batch (very small!) and fire it. Remember that if an ingredient loses it's major use (whatever) it rapidly loses it's pyro availability.

Edited by Arthur

"Hardt blue star number 6" is the intended composition. I am experimenting with KP Blues. And I have a surplus of copper oxychloride. So I figured I would give this one a shot it's only 4% in the chemical that I'm switching. I will make a small batch and give it a shot

I will make a small batch and give it a shot

There ya go! That’s the spirit!

Blues are one of the most difficult in my experience. And some of the most beautiful.

The last attempt at a blue I made. 3 letter agencies all over me a few days later. A bit washed out...was still working on it.

Edited by Richtee

Nothing that goes BOOM is really legal anymore . They haff vays...