• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uarbor

Uarbor

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 09:21 AM

I want to mount a comet on top of my ball shell that is on my rocket. I want the quick match to light the comet and then quickly launch the rocket. I have never fused quick match into the bottom of a rocket. Not sure exactly how to attach it. I usually just J hook my visco fuse. I'm thinking just Jam the end of the quick match up there and then tape it to the stick? I'm a bit worried that quick match will shoot fire all the way up to the Core which would not be what I usually do and my Rockets are very hot I don't want it to explode. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:27 AM

I've never seen a rocket where the effect is lit at the same time as the motor. ALL the rockets I've seen have risen under power, then coasted to apogee then the payload has lit to burn while falling.

However to achieve your project you could fix the star at the top and use two pieces of (same reel) visco cut to the same length, to light in both place at the same time.

#3 Uarbor

Uarbor

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:02 PM

I've never seen a rocket where the effect is lit at the same time as the motor. ALL the rockets I've seen have risen under power, then coasted to apogee then the payload has lit to burn while falling.

However to achieve your project you could fix the star at the top and use two pieces of (same reel) visco cut to the same length, to light in both place at the same time.

that does sound like a good idea with the VSCO I could use 2 equal length of fast VSCO attached to some slow to start out. I got the quick match idea from Ned Gorski check out the first rocket in this video.

https://youtu.be/gUv-FbF4vzE

Edited by Uarbor, 22 June 2022 - 12:05 PM.

#4 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:09 PM

It's fusing! There must be a dozen ways to fuse everything in order.

#5 Uarbor

Uarbor

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:12 PM

This was the specific video that gave me the idea. I asked him about it in the comments and he confirmed that's how it was done. I just made my very first batch of black match just for this project. But I must say I liked your idea a little better

#6 Uarbor

Uarbor

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:16 PM

It's fusing! There must be a dozen ways to fuse everything in order.

my main concern was the quick match shooting fire all the way up to the top of the core potentially exploding my motor. Your idea solves that problem and is less work.

Edited by Uarbor, 22 June 2022 - 12:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users