3 replies to this topic

#1 johnnypyro

johnnypyro

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 04:11 AM

Hello from the UK!

Thanks to all the contributors to this forum, past and present, for the goldmine of information.

I am making BP for lift and burst sifting each component of a 75:15:10 composition with 100 mesh. I do this three times, mixing in a closed plastic box between sifting. I add 2.5% dextrin, 25/75 isopropyl alcohol/water and grate through 10 mesh. Once dry I separate what passes10 mesh but not 20 mesh (4FA equivalent?) as my BP. The charcoal I use is good quality willow.

The result is good, but not very hot.

I'm curious to know if there is anything more I can do to improve this BP, or is the next step a ball mill?

#2 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 05:36 AM

The best powder is always good ingredients, well milled, pressed and corned then size graded for different purposes. Short the process get poor powder. If there was a better way people would use it.

#3 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:40 AM

Go to Royal Gun Powder Mills at Waltham Abbey, See how powder was made when it was a military and mining necessity. Look on their WWW for the books they publish.

#4 Uarbor

Uarbor

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:02 AM

I would say it's time to move on to a ball mill. I started off with a rock tumbler then I ended up getting a spare set of jars for the rock tumbler then I built a set up where I can turn all four jars at once but basically it's still a rock tumbler. Skylighter has an excellent tutorial on how to optimize a rock tumbler to the correct speed for Milling. Here is what my powder looks like after 3 hours in the Tumbler. The charcoal is Willow, weeping willow to be specific.

Edited by Uarbor, 22 June 2022 - 08:03 AM.

• johnnypyro likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black powder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users