APC Forum

Tips on making micro-star fountains like purple rain?

yvanblo

I would really like to figure out how to make micro-star fountains similar to purple rain or jumping jelly beans... the first part that is so pretty when the purple stars are tossed out... so gentle and nice. I don't like the crackle, and think crackle is WAY overused these days.

Anyone make them or have tips on how to do so?

I'd imagine that I could use fairy fountain mix without TI, as the base composition. But I can't seem to figure out how the stars are added. Every time I've tried, it never works quite right. either the stars burn up too quickly, or they just end up adding color to the fountain.

Please help me.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with "micro stars". I mixed up some blue strobe rocket fuel, the one using GE2 silicone caulk, and roll it flat about 1/8". I then cut it into very small squares that I primed. The few tests I've done were very interesting. It looks much like the jumping jelly beans in blue.

I'd love to make some greens and red using the same sort of GE2 silicone composition, but have had almost no color when I tried strontium nitrate, strontium carbonate, barium nitrate and barium sulfate. All of them end up pale orange... though the strontium nitrate had some blue tones.... which seemed impossible.

If anyone knows how to make other colors besides blue with the GE2, please let me know. I like it because the stars end up rubbery, and don't seem to crush at all when ramming, and the fireball looks kind of 'gooey'. lol

What formula did you use, when trying to convert it to other colors ?

I would suspect, that the formula as written. Does not produce enough heat, to display red's & green's properly. If only a simple substitution is used.

What formula did you use, when trying to convert it to other colors ?

I would suspect, that the formula as written. Does not produce enough heat, to display red's & green's properly. If only a simple substitution is used.

I agree, I really like AP based colors and play around with different comps just to see how it'll work. Basically I've found red needs a bit more heat, some fine atomized aluminum will usually do the trick.

Carbon796, I did indeed simply substitute chemicals 1:1. I figured it was a long shot, but worth trying.

Blue Strobe Rocket Pyrotechnic Formula
Ammonium perchlorate 63%
Copper oxide, black 10%
PVC powder 5%
GE II Silicone #5000 (bathroom caulk) 22%

I swapped the copper oxide for; strontium nitrate, strontium carbonate, barium nitrate, individually.

The barium nitrate did actually burn a little green, but it's pale.

If heat is the issue, what do you suggest I do to get more heat into the comp?

I wish I had something to add but I am very interested in this. Jumping Jelly Beans is one of my favorite things in the world. So I am assuming regular star compositions are not going to work that small?
  • Like 2

Uarbor, I'm going to pursue this, and hopefully end up with a jumping jelly bean style firework. I will post my progress when I have something to post. As far as regular stars working... they probably do work that small, but the jelly beans strike me as something entirely different...like a glob of colored fire. A normal star is more crisp or something. The way this mix burns reminds me very much of jumping jelly beans.

I really wish I knew something about chemistry so I could figure out how to substitute chemicals and get the results I want....

Please feel free to chime in if you are reading this and have any input worth sharing.

Ammonium perchlorate is favoured for blues because it burns cooler than other oxidisers, cool (in flame terms!) helps blues but hinders other colours. Chlorine is very important in reds and greens.

• Like 1