APC Forum

Pink? Match for fuses

Smokelvr

I read somewhere in russian literature about so-called "white match" which is made like "black match" but instead of BP composition of phenolic resin + potassium nitrate is used.

I used the following composition:

Phenolic resin - 30%

Potassium nitrate - 70%

solvent - ethanol

The burning rate of such fuse is about a half of black match and it is more resistent to humidity and moisture.

78% KN

20% Phenolic Resin

2% Hexamine

+1% red iron oxide

I know it has excess KN, but I don't know the burn chemistry for Phenolic resin, and figured the excess nitrate would be used by the string. Hexamine and PR, properly combined makes a formica countertop like substance (pressure + heat + process conditions = bakalite) that's a fast or faster than my blackmatch

Also, it seems to get in the cotton string better than BP, I should use methanol, ended up using ethanol + acetone, the string was put in a zip lock bag and shaken with dry composition then wetted and drawn out just running between gloved fingers, there was some composition evenly covering the string but not like you need for blackmatch. I surprised myself with how well it works

What % ethanol and what % acetone?

Didn't pay much attention to the amount but enough to make a pancake batter like slurry, Alcohol was some 91% rubbing I grabbed from around the house, need to get more methanol

Interesting is that bare it burns about twice as fast as my black match but when I tried it in quick match it was about half as fast? Which is still quick but noticeable slower, also stinks to high heaven