APC Forum

Ideas to use large mesh mg/al

Uarbor

I have a pound of 20/60 mesh mg/al. I need some ideas on what to use it for. I was wondering if it could be added to a salute header the way I do titanium or would it be consumed by the flash? The first place I'm going to try it is in some one and a half inch crosetts that and I just made tooling for. I would love to hear what other uses that there may be. Thanks in advance for any info.

I'd call -20+60 a medium or maybe a medium course cut really. It can be kinda material dependant also, imho. I've used a -8+30 Mg/Al in 1.5 comets before. That Al C used to make. And I believe August later made something similar, at one time.

Do you have a comp in mind your wanting to use. If the comp is too "hot", it may burn the fines up in the head.

Just as a point of reference. For large salutes/bottom shots. I typically use grape nuts Ti -7+18, for smaller report/inserts I use -10+20. Both being sponge. You may get some sparks out of it when used the same way. ( the Ti would most likely hang longer. Where the Mg/Al would be shorter lived ) But, I would guess it would be from the courser end, while most of the finer stuff will burn up in the flash. Being as the Mg/Al is going to be more reactive, in theory.

Edited by Carbon796

A long delay dragon egg? But it seems to give a better ‘pop” with coarser stuff. I currently use 60-100. Like Carbon said,stars/comets would have some hang time.

Supposedly its fireflies on cocaine, if it works right. Otherwise its (FSFoY) flaming shit falls on you, if it doesn't. According to Bill K. Made with 30mesh Mg/Al, vs AL and pine charcoal vs commercial AF.

I've never made it either. But, always thought it sounded interesting.

Edited by Carbon796

All depends on the size of the shell and hence the size of the metal particles needed. Big shells need bigger stars which needs bigger, longer burning, sparkly bits.

Thanks guys I'm definitely going to try the fireflies on coke. And I was already considering more experiments with crackle anyway I already have all the stuff ready for the Crackle. I'm going to have to make Pine charcoal for the other.

All depends on the size of the shell and hence the size of the metal particles needed. Big shells need bigger stars which needs bigger, longer burning, sparkly bits.

the biggest shell I make is a 4in round rocket header. The majority of my shells are 3in round headers. The only thing I launch from my tubes are store bought shells and homemade mines and salutes. I am mostly into Rockets I just never get tired of it LOL Edited by Uarbor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

what about a garb? I have some real coarse -10+50 I was thinking of incorporating into some garbs for a sparkle/flash effect but I can only do ground effects where I am at, my problem is I dont know what kind of comp to use to keep ignition