APC Forum

Chasing Easter Bunnies?

SharkWhisperer

Dang it's been kinda quiet round here.

Everybody busy with Easter? Passover? Tax day tomorrow? Long-covid? Sleeping sickness?

Sheesh, I'm traveling atm, but still whipping up charcoal comps & some red/green/purple rubber stars for sport, at least. No mill with me, so had to buy some Goex/Schuetzen for lift/burst, though. Stuff burns slow. Harder to light than homemade with all that graphite fouling, too, hah ha (really)! Missing my willow BP!

Concocting a small reliable insulated smoke cylinder that'll fire off of a model rocket igniter, for a smoke trail-generating add-on to an Estes Big Daddy model rocket that's almost ready for paint, whoo hoo. Kid stuff, but both fun and useful. This Daddy is going to run commercial motors (mount is upsized from D/E-impulse to take F/G-impulse motors), but they're a hoot and easy to modify to take a 1-pound endburner!

Anyways, looking forward to seeing some new vids or reading tales of your creations, especially with summer and July 4th (for those in the US) not far away!

Edited by SharkWhisperer

Over Easter I was making a batch of Shimzu Blue #70 stars. I'll give a report later on quality after I'm satisfied with the dryness level, high humidity is both a blessing and a curse.

I been working on shells... 1.75 and 2” cans and balls. I’m gonna have to decide to “get back in both feet” tho. I have nothing for color, really. The BP IS honed to a razor’s edge tho :)

post-6205-0-17341100-1650472508_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The blue stars were satisfactory out of my star gun, unfortunately cameras function better with the lens cap off so I cannot post a video. :wacko:

I have gone ahead and made a couple of test shells to see how they perform, but shall delay the testing till my next night off. I do not wish for my neighbors to abhor me, as I am certain would happen if I were to test my shells at 1:00 AM.

IMG 20220422 004333

Edited by ThrownBiscuit
  • Like 1

Finally got crossette tool made. Figured out the required dampness of composition so that composition will not stick to star pump. Made first batch of golden streamer stars and results are not as expected when dry. Stars burnt as lump not like shower, figured out i have mixed more water while dampening the comps. Have to try second batch. Recently got access to phenolic resin and fortunately it is compact for pyro. Made modified independence red. Results were good. Making small batch of independence red Crossette star phenolic bound. Will post the results soon

post-23199-0-92848900-1650684393_thumb.jpg

Edited by deepakpyro
  • Like 2

, Edited by Carbon796

Maybe quiet now but wait for 1st July when all the posts say what can I make when I have no chems!

I kinda get the same thing asking me how to cook ribs for Memorial Day.. that Friday :D

Edited by Richtee