APC Forum

Parallel wound tubes

24pyro97

Everytime I make tubes for spolletes of reports or rockets my rammer always pushes down the inner layers of the tubes making it increasingly more difficult to ram as well as sometimes destroying the fuel grain by paper being smashed into it do other people have this issue and how have you fixed it? I cant stand this when it happens !!

Are you using some sort of glue or paste for the inner layers ?

For reports, why is there any ramming involved at all ?

Edited by Carbon796

Everytime I make tubes for spolletes of reports or rockets my rammer always pushes down the inner layers of the tubes making it increasingly more difficult to ram as well as sometimes destroying the fuel grain by paper being smashed into it do other people have this issue and how have you fixed it? I cant stand this when it happens !!

Sounds like crummy tubing or mismatched tooling/tubing. Never had an issue with tubes unwinding paper inside. Sounds like a real pain in the ass. If it's happening for both rocket motors and spolettes, it sounds like a probable tube construction issue. What kinda paper/glue you using. There's plenty of tube rolling threads on here. Many, myself included, typically just bite the bullet and pay for quality tubing except for some unique/specialty designs.

Are you using some sort of glue or paste for the inner layers ?

For reports, why is there any ramming involved at all ?

Think he might be talking about the timing unit on an aerial salute, not pounding flash.

I have had this issue when the paper is wound too tight on the forming mandrel. You can mitigate this with practice, developing a feel for the rolling process, or you can use a mandrel with a slightly larger diameter than the ramming drifts used in your process.

I have also seen this when there is insufficient paste application on the first few layers of paper inside the tube, causing them to separate from the rest of the tube.

• Like 1

No I am not pounding flash I miss typed that. But yeah I roll my tubes very tight I wonder if like your saying too tight or maybe I need to add more glue between the layers

Glue the “back side” of the paper for a diameter length or so- first wrap or two. That way it’s glued right from the get-go, and NOT sticking to your mandrel.