APC Forum

Hybrid Rocket Fuel questions

Uarbor

I am at the point now where I have gone about as far as a person can go with black powder rockets and one set of Universal tooling. I made my first batch of benzo whistle the other day and that was a lot of fun but I am curious about the whistle black powder Hybrid fuel. I'm using Universal tooling which has a rather large nozzle opening and I am wondering what ratios people normally start with when mixing whistle with black powder for fuel. I am more interested in using a nozzle with this type of fuel. Does anyone know the basic starting point for the mix. Is it 50/50 or is it more heavily black powder? I understand nobody can give me an exact ratio for my tooling I'm just looking for a starting point. I have black powder fuel that is hot willow and I also have some that is made with commercial air float. I would love to hear anything from people who have tried the Hybrid fuel any input would be very much appreciated thanks in advance.

Steve Laduke wrote a lot of notes on hybrid rockets using his universal spindle. I don't know if you are a member on Ned's site, but there are 2 compilations of Steve's writings in the article section. They are things he said on Passfire. They MAY be here on this site somewhere too, I don't know. I'm pretty sure they were on Pyrobin too, but that site is down.

I'm no expert on hybrid rockets, but when you use 75-15-10 and whistle, you don't use a nozzle. You can start with 25% whistle and go from there. The nozzle is used when you want power, but also a tail. In that case, you mix something like 60-30-10 with the whistle, with 15 of the 30 charcoal parts being 30-40 mesh. I think 50/50 whistle/BP is a good place to start in that case. This info was gleaned from Steve's notes. You would be amazed at all the different combinations of fuels Steve has used with the universal tooling he invented.

I've personally made a few nice rockets with whistle fuel with 10% additional 30-40 mesh charcoal for tail. The whistle sound was weaker but still, it looked very nice. I wax my tubes to prevent CATOs.

Steve Laduke wrote a lot of notes on hybrid rockets using his universal spindle. I don't know if you are a member on Ned's site, but there are 2 compilations of Steve's writings in the article section. They are things he said on Passfire. They MAY be here on this site somewhere too, I don't know. I'm pretty sure they were on Pyrobin too, but that site is down.

I'm no expert on hybrid rockets, but when you use 75-15-10 and whistle, you don't use a nozzle. You can start with 25% whistle and go from there. The nozzle is used when you want power, but also a tail. In that case, you mix something like 60-30-10 with the whistle, with 15 of the 30 charcoal parts being 30-40 mesh. I think 50/50 whistle/BP is a good place to start in that case. This info was gleaned from Steve's notes. You would be amazed at all the different combinations of fuels Steve has used with the universal tooling he invented.

I've personally made a few nice rockets with whistle fuel with 10% additional 30-40 mesh charcoal for tail. The whistle sound was weaker but still, it looked very nice. I wax my tubes to prevent CATOs.

you just triggered a memory LOL I do have the Steve Leduc compilation download it in my old phone as a PDF. I will have to pull it up and email it to myself. And I am also now a firm believer and waxing the tubes. Edited by Uarbor