APC Forum

Core burner

Richtee

All home brew...tube and all. Hand rammed drilled water putty nozzle/core. Not too shabby! :)

Rock#1

• Like 3

I AM perplexed by the puff of black smoke with the report. Just straight Vitamin F. Typically white. Maybe the sawdust/BP delay?

:D Good stuff right there!

Woodford and I agree ;) And..thank ya kindly.

Edited by Richtee

Cool! Am I right to assume it's a sugar rocket?

No..it’s my BP. Never really messed with the sugar stuff much.

Basic 75/15/10. Lump BBQ charcoal actually. Din’t want FAST stuff. Ball milled and hand rammed with the same hardwood dowel I rolled the tube on. The nozzle is “Durham’s Water Putty” Good stuff... http://www.waterputty.com/durham.html

Tube was 4” long by 5/8” dia.

Put the water putty in to at least a diameter thickness and let harden. Sand putty/tube FLAT (to take the stress of ramming better) and pack in lightly damped mill powder in 1 Dia increments and whack it with a hammer a few times on a flat surface.Repeat until ..well..yer done :D

I used about 20% fine sawdust with the BP for the delay. Worked well. Used s 3/16” drill and went prolly 75% of the way up into the motor for the nozzle.

It’s something you really just need to mess with till it’s right. There were a few failures. :D Using my fast BP was exciting. BLAM! :D

Edited by Richtee

Yeah it's the failures I need to work through -- I have lots of those :-) Seeing the posts of working flights gets me asking questions about how you got there.

When did you put in the delay comp? Near the "top" or what wound up being just above the tip of your core?

Thanks for the info!

Edited by nordicwolf

When did you put in the delay comp? Near the "top" or what wound up being just above the tip of your core?

Exactly. Probably about a half inch above the core..as you do not want the delay to be ignited until the propellant is about exhausted.

Edited by Richtee