22 replies to this topic

#21 mabuse00

mabuse00

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 January 2022 - 05:10 PM

I still believe (or maybe I want to) that Al's oxide layer is stable under normal conditions...

Another thought:

there may be some variants of Al that rely on being fresh and not oxidised when delivered, rather than small size. These will work when rather fresh but suffer when oxidation of the surface is finished.

#22 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 08 January 2022 - 09:50 PM

I still believe (or maybe I want to) that Al's oxide layer is stable under normal conditions...

Another thought:

there may be some variants of Al that rely on being fresh and not oxidised when delivered, rather than small size. These will work when rather fresh but suffer when oxidation of the surface is finished.

I think I abused the stuff alot. Left open to atmosphere thru the humid summers here...moved about..in general poor material handling. Don’t get me wrong..it’s NOT useless..but it ain’t got that swing... like the sealed stuff.

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#23 itwasntme

itwasntme

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 07:43 AM

So I dried out 3 grams. 200°F for 15 mins. Also broke out 3 grams same batch but not opened. Double zippie’d from the supplier. 

I mixed up 7-3 2 batches. The dried one... seemed marginally better. The unopened one was ..well..hellfire. I’d have to say..take care of your AL.

The opened stuff will still “git R Done” but there is a noticeable reduction in it’s performance.

I think WSM kinda spelled out why too. Probably why ya never hear of a AU/oxidizer mix for the rich. It won’t work :D

I had the same exact issue.

Personally I work in rather small batches, so what I do is take a small sealable plastic cup, put in a small amount of chem and work from that vs from the original packaging. This means that my chem sits out on the table rather poorly sealed, but in approx 20 gram amounts.

Originally sealed aluminum and magnesium powders worked like they always did, while the stuff in the plastic cup for about a year, worked, but not nearly as well as the original.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users